Welcome to NASA, rated third in the “2009 Best Places to Work in the Federal Government” rankings. This page provides essential information to help you accomplish your NASA mission.
This is a new Web page, and we encourage you to e-mail your suggestions for enhancement. Congratulations on your new job and welcome to the NASA Headquarters team!
Getting Up and Running
Hints & Tips
- Many people make the Inside HQ Web site their default “home” page. Notice the red Directories tab, which will help you find people quickly.
- Spend some time finding your way around the HQ Information Technology and Communications (ITCD) Division Web site. In particular, read ITCD’s Getting Started page, and consider bookmarking the Instructions & Guidelines page and the index of IT-related Frequently Asked Questions.
- Most technical issues can be solved by calling the Enterprise Service Desk (ESD) at x4357 (or 202-358-4357 when you’re not in the HQ building.) If you don’t like voicemail trees, you can e-mail support requests to NASA-ESD@mail.nasa.gov and the Enterprise Service Desk (ESD) will call you if necessary or simply process your request by dispatching it to the proper team. (As a new employee whose phone number may not yet appear in directories, be sure to include your work phone number!)
- It’s smart to create an e-mail signature that includes your office location and phone number as soon as possible. It can take up to two pay periods for your phone number to appear in the NASA Enterprise Directory (NED) and the Global Address List (GAL). You may need to fill-in missing details in your directory listing. See how to update your directory listing.
- If you haven’t already been introduced, take a moment to determine who the IT Point of Contact is for your organization (see Column F), and store that person’s contact information for future reference. This person can help troubleshoot issues that you cannot resolve through other means.
- There are some conference rooms that can be reserved at the same time that you invite people to a meeting (using Microsoft Outlook or Entourage), and other conference rooms that require that you use the Facilities Help Desk system. Ask a coworker to demonstrate both methods for you.
- In addition to providing access to an enormous collection of reference materials, The Library also houses several small conference areas that do not require advance reservations. The Library staff is a veritable font of useful information about HQ.
- When you’re using a NASA-issued laptop away from HQ, you can access your e-mail directly using Microsoft Outlook or Entourage whenever you have Internet access. For access to all other HQ IT services and applications, if you are not physically connected to the HQ network, you will need to use some kind of remote access service.
- Got kids in your life? Take them to The NASA Headquarters Information Center. Located inside the library, the Information Center is accessed through the waiting area of the Visitor Center and is open to the public. From 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, you can select NASA photos, posters, patches and pins to take home with you and even pick up NASA monographs all at no charge. The staff is adept at wowing kids and walking them through lobby exhibits. Phone: (202) 358-0000.
- The mailing address for HQ is not the same as the physical / delivery address. See details here.
- Your NASA badge, or smartcard, can also be used to login to your computer. If you forget your badge at home, you can request a Visitor badge, following the same process visitors follow to gain entrance to HQ. (Go to the Visitor Center / Security Desk in the West lobby.) If you have lost your badge promptly call the HQ Security Office at (202) 358-2422.
- If you order food delivered to HQ, plan to meet the delivery person out front or at the U-Shaped drive adjacent to the East end of the building, lest your hot lunch be sent to Shipping and Receiving for inspection.
How to Find the Security Office
The entrance to the NASA HQ Badging Office is on the first floor, a metal door near the elevator bank, Room 1U66. It is open for walk-in customer service from 7:30-11:30 a.m., Monday to Friday. Their phone number is 358-2422.
New Employee Orientation
New employees are required to attend the NASA Headquarters Employee Orientation conducted the first Monday of the pay period.
New employees are required to attend the New Employee IT Orientation the same day following the NASA Headquarters Employee Orientation
NASA HQ offers two onsite dining options, both on the east end of the building on the first floor. A variety of other nearby options follows, though this list is hardly exhaustive.
Grand Deli Café - Accessed from the street or from the east lobby, this sandwich shop offers breakfast, hot grill items, cold sandwiches and a variety of salads, snacks, desserts and beverages. You may place your order ahead of time by calling (202) 554-8826.
Grand Deli Cafeteria: Near the exit doors of the east lobby, this cafeteria style restaurant offers an International hot and cold buffet daily.
Ford Office Building Cafeteria: 3rd Street SW across the street from Federal Center SW Metro Station. Enter through security checkpoint, take second left off of main hall, then go left again.
McDonald’s: 400 C Street, SW. (202) 484-0803. Offers a complimentary WiFi hotspot.
Potbelly Sandwich Shop: 409 3rd Street SW, next to the Federal Center SW Metro Station. Phone: (202) 863-3965. Fax: (202) 863-3956. Online and phone/fax orders are welcome. Here’s the menu.
Quiznos: 400 C Street, SW. Phone: (202) 646-0300. Online and phone orders are welcome.
Wall Street Deli: 400 4th Street, SW. (202) 554-0099. Online and phone/fax orders are welcome.
Stores and Services
Convenience Store : HQ building, East Lobby near the guard’s station
Hours: Monday through Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
CVS 500 C Street, SW.
Drycleaner Enter from the front of the building near the East side. Provides same day service, dry cleaning and shirt laundry service and alterations and repairs. Hours:
Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday’s from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Hours: Monday - Thursday, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
There is a small full-service post office located in the West Lobby. You can buy stamps and weigh and mail packages.
NASA Federal Credit Union
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
The Credit Union is located in the West Lobby. This is a full-service credit union with an ATM.
Gift Shop (also known as NASA Exchange Store)
Hours: Monday - Thursday, 7:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. and Friday, 8:30 – 4 p.m.
(Closed Friday 1 – 2).
When you shop at the NASA Exchange Store, you can bring home a toddler’s astronaut suit, indulge in a candy bar or purchase NASA memorabilia. You are simultaneously supporting social events for NASA employees such as the annual NASA picnic, crab feast, and coffee/donut socials provided throughout the year by the NASA Exchange Council.
Hours: Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
The library is located in the West Lobby at Headquarters. The Library is a convenient area for meeting with visitors to NASA HQ, offering a pleasant environment. They have meeting tables, comfortable furniture, and relatively private areas for small meetings. In addition, the Library is occasionally available for special events.