The Office of Safety and Mission Assurance (OSMA) assures the safety and enhances the success of all NASA activities through the development, implementation, and oversight of Agencywide safety, reliability, maintainability, and quality assurance (SRM&QA) policies and procedures. Included in OSMA's activities are:
- Establishing and assuring compliance with NASA safety and mission assurance (SMA) strategies, policies, and standards.
- Fostering early integration and life-cycle implementation of safety, reliability, maintainability, and quality assurance (SRM&QA) into NASA's programs and operations.
- Improving methodologies for risk identification and assessment, and providing recommendations for risk mitigation and acceptance.
- Performing independent safety and mission assurance (SMA) assessments and process verification reviews
- Providing analysis and recommendations for critical Agency safety decisions.
- Sponsoring the innovation and rapid transfer of SRM&QA technologies, processes, and techniques to improve safety and reliability and reduce the cost of mission success.