Welcome to the HQ Supervisory Development Resource Page
Supervisors play a pivotal role in the success of NASA, particularly in the areas of performance and organizational effectiveness. Additionally, supervisors face a number of challenges in the influence arena and when managing for results. It is important that supervisors have the knowledge and resources to aid in their success. This page serves as a reference for supervisors when preparing their individual development plan (IDP). Supervisors are strongly encouraged to familiarize themselves with the NASA Leadership Model and the OPM Executive core Qualifications during their planning process.
Training Requirement: NPD 3410.2F
requires supervisors to complete 40 hours of supervisory and
management training within the first six months of their initial
appointment and 80 hours within the first two years. In addition,
supervisors must have recurrent training at least every three
years. New Supervisors receive a letter outlining this requirement.
||News and Events
See descriptions under Supervisory and Management Programs and Courses or contact Marykate Dougherty at 202-358-1257 for more information on any events listed.
- Management CohortNetwork: Lessons Learned from the Furlough. With a focus on sharing management tools and a forum for discussing management approaches, during this session you will hear from a panel and discuss what we learned as a result of the October furlough. Feel free to bring your lunch and learn with your colleagues on Wednesday, January 8, 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. in Room Mic6A..
- The Conflict and Teams workshop addresses how to manage conflict when it arises within a team. Prior to the course, participants take the Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument (TKI) and are provided a profile of their typical responses to conflict. Based on this information, participants are able to recognize how their behaviors and others’ can affect conflict situations. With this knowledge, they can develop strategies for managing the conflicts they encounter. Join us on Thursday, February 13, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Room Mic6A.
- With a specific focus on NASA HQ, Managing Strategically @ HQ helps participants learn resources and skills needed to approach their managerial work with strategic intent. Attend this two-part class on March 4-5 & March 18-20, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Skillsoft Spotlight Class (In SATERN)
Telework for Government Employees
This course provides guidelines for how to evaluate whether telework is right for you. It also explains how to prepare for a successful teleworking experience. The course discusses the best practices for telework, and also covers how to deal with the challenges of telework. This training is designed to address the applicable requirements governing telework by federal employees.
Telework Class on Telework.gov (Also in SATERN)
Telework Training for Managers
Telework can help managers attract and retain the best qualified employees, provide
them with uninterrupted blocks of time to work on key projects, and give their organization
a way of functioning more effectively during crisis situations and other business
interruptions. The course introduces managers to basic telework concepts. It walks
managers through the process of developing a program, selecting employees for telework,
and managing effectively in a telework environment.
Submit suggestions for blogs, books and more by emailing
||Supervisory and Management Programs and Courses
HQ Opportunities offered by EOEB
- HQ Leadership Course Catalog
Establishing Yourself in a Management Role
To be successful, Leads, Supervisors and Managers must establish themselves in their new roles. This series of meetings, readings, optional coaching sessions, and online classes assists those new to a management role and/or new to NASA explore what it means to manage at NASA HQ. Participants focus on the areas that they choose to build the management skills and relationships relevant to their unique situations. Contact Marykate Dougherty
at 358-0579 for more information.
- HQ Core Supervisory Courses
Supervisor Program: Managing Strategically @ HQ (formerly Meeting Learners Where They Are)
This 5-day program is delivered by guest faculty and HQ SMEs using case study, lecture, discussion, and practical and experiential exercises. The seminar is designed to help participants understand the ways in which their leadership actions affect the daily employee (and team) experience and the ultimate attainment of the vision and mission of NASA.
Emotional Intelligence: Skills Training for Leaders
In this 2-day course, participants develop and enhance the skills that will positively impact their work by understanding and improving the connection between their emotions and actions.
Situational Frontline Leadership
After completing this 2-day course, frontline managers will be able to take responsibility in developing their direct reports; Diagnose employees' development needs and then adapt their leadership style to meet those needs; Partner by creating a side-by-side relationship where both parties are mutually influential; Understand how effective leadership can provide high levels of performance and employee satisfaction; and Transfer newly learned skills to partner with their people on a journey that can transform basic beginners into Self-Reliant Achievers.
Conflict and Teams
This 1-day seminar addresses conflict on teams and how to manage conflict when it arises. Prior to the course, participants take the Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument (TKI) and are provided a profile of their typical responses to conflict. Based on this information, participants are able to recognize how their and others’ behavior affect conflict situations. With this knowledge, they can develop strategies for managing the conflicts they encounter.
DiSC: Maximizing Your Strengths as a Manager
This 1-day seminar is designed to give participants a better understanding of themselves and others, and how to enhance team effectiveness. Most importantly, participants will recognize how behavior is likely to be misread and learn how to adjust their communication to meet the needs and styles of those around them.
- Congressional Operations Seminar for NASA
- HQ Excel Program
Opportunities offered by the Agency
Opportunities offered by OPM