Program/Project Management Resource List #11
Revised May 2012
"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are.", Brecht.
Change is the one thing that we must all face. NASA, like the other federal agencies, must trim its sails according to decisions made in the Oval Office and on Capitol Hill. Other changes are caused by advances in technology and by economic shifts. This bibliography is about the process of organizational change, and the history of change efforts in NASA and similar organizations. For information on managing the flow of change, how you can move changes along instead of being moved by them, and on creating an organizational environment that is receptive to change, please see the library's resource lists on Change Management, Change Agents, Corporate Culture, and the Learning Organization.
The following is a select bibliography of pertinent materials accessible to the patrons of the NASA HQ Library. All items are available at the Headquarters Library, except as noted. NASA Headquarters employees and contractors: Call x0168 or email Library@hq.nasa.gov for information on borrowing or in-library use of any of these items. Members of the public: Contact your local library for the availability of these items. NASA Headquarters employees can request additional materials or research on this topic. The Library welcomes your comments or suggestions about this webpage.
|Contents:||Books||E-books||Articles and Reports||Internet Resources|
- Behavioral Science Technology, Inc. Assessment and Plan for Organizational Culture Change at NASA. Ojai, CA: Behaviorial Science Technology, Inc., 2004.
- TL521.312 .A86 2004 BOOKSTACKS
- Bennet, Alex and David. Organizational Survival in the New World: The Intelligent Complex Adaptive System. Amsterdam, The Netherlands; Boston, MA: Butterworth-Heinemann, 2004. ISBN: 0750677120
- HD58.8 .B46 O74 2004 BOOKSTACKS
- De Meuse, Kenneth P. Resizing the Organization: Managing Layoffs, Divestitures, and Closings: Maximizing Gain while Minimizing Pain. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2003. ISBN: 0787958913
- HD58.85 .R47 2003 BOOKSTACKS
- Dunphy, Dexter C. Organizational Change for Corporate Sustainability: A Guide for Leaders and Change Agents of the Future. New York, NY: Routledge, 2003. ISBN: 0415287405
- HD58.8 .D86 2003 PPM-STACKS
- Kelman, Steven. Unleashing Change: A Study of Organizational Renewal in Government. Washington, DC: Brookings Institution Press, 2005. ISBN: 081574899X
- JF1525 .O73 K45 2005 PPM-STACKS
- Kotnour, Timothy G. Transforming Organizations: Strategies and Methods. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2010. ISBN: 9781439805749
- HD58.8 .K668 2010 PPM-STACKS
- Lambright, W. Henry. Executive Response to Changing Fortune: Sean O'Keefe as NASA Administrator. Washington, DC: IBM Center for the Business of Government, 2005.
- TL521.312 .L36 2005 PPM-STACKS
- The e-books listed below are available to NASA civil servants and contractors through the Books 24x7 service of SATERN.
- Cameron, Kim S., and Robert E. Quinn. Diagnosing and Changing Organizational Culture: Based on the Competing Values Framework, Third Edition. Jossey-Bass, 2011. ISBN: 9780470650264
- Lewis, Laurie K. Organizational Change: Creating Change Through Strategic Communication. Blackwell LTD, 2011. ISBN: 9781405191906
- Rothwell, William J., et al. (eds). Practicing Organization Development: A Guide for Leading Change, 3rd Edition. Pfeiffer, 2010. ISBN: 9780470405444
- Salerno, Ann, and Lillie Brock. The Change Cycle: How People Can Survive and Thrive in Organizational Change. Berrett-Kohler, 2008. ISBN: 9781576754986
- The e-book listed below is available to the general public through the National Academies Press.
- Committee on the Organizational Structure of the National Institutes of Health. Enhancing the Vitality of the National Institutes of Health: Organizational Change to Meet New Challenges, 2003. ISBN: 0309089670
- Bradford, III, Robert D. What Happened to FCS? An Organizational Change Case Study. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, PA, March 14, 2011.
- (ADA553074: (March 2011) DTIC)
- Diedrich, Frederick J., Elliot E. Entin, Susan G. Hutchins, et al. "When Do Organizations Need to Change (Part I)? Coping with Incongruence", in: International Command and Control Research and Technology Symposium (8th), ICCRTS '03, Washington, DC, June 17-19, 2003.
- (ADA467093: (June 2007) DTIC)
- Drylie, Scott T. Predictors and Predictive Effects of Attitudinal Inconsistency Towards Organizational Change. School of Engineering and Management, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH, 2012.
- (ADA557949: (March 2012 DTIC)
- Entin, Elliot E., Frederick J. Diedrich, David L. Kleinman, et al. "When Do Organizations Need to Change (Part II)? Incongruence in Action", in: International Command and Control Research and Technology Symposium (8th), ICCRTS '03, Washington, DC, June 17-19, 2003.
- (ADA467094: (June 2007) DTIC)
- Fernandez, Sergio, and Hal G. Rainey. "Managing Successful Organizational Change in the Public Sector", Public Administration Review, vol. LXVI, no. 2 (March 2006), p. 168-176.
- King, Cynthia L, Douglas A. Brook, and Timothy D. Hartge. Effective Communication Practices During Organizational Transformation: A Benchmarking Study of the US Automobile Industry and US Naval Aviation Enterprise. Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA, July 1, 2007.
- (ADA479913: (April 2008) DTIC)
- Riddle, Terry W., Jr. Interaction between the Process Used to Introduce Change and the Personality of Organizational Members: An International Test. School of Engineering and Management, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH, 2005.
- (ADA435194: (July 2005) DTIC)
- Torres, Frank, and Timothy Faust. A Case Study on Organizational Culture and Its Role in the Creation of Organizational Change Efforts Within a Government Agency. Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA, 2010.
- (ADA518618: (May 2010) DTIC)
- The Center for Learning and Organizational Change. May 2012 [May 22, 2012].
- International Organization Development Association. Feb. 23, 2012 [May 22, 2012].
- Organization Development Network. May 2012 [May 22, 2012].
- Prusak, Laurence. ASK Magazine. Change. May 12, 2010 [June 16, 2010].
Last Updated: May 2012