Program/Project Management Resource List #13
Revised July 2012
When an organization begins the process of benchmarking, it compares its practices with those of similar
organizations, hoping to find better ways to attain its goals. If inappropriate benchmarks or partners are
chosen, the organization will end up measuring the wrong things. Benchmarking runs in parallel with knowledge management, bringing in standards and
best practices from elsewhere, while
knowledge management preserves knowledge generated within the organization. You may also find useful items in
the library's webpages on Measuring
Organizational Effectiveness in Research and Development Organizations, Quality Management, and Corporate Culture.
The following is a select bibliography of pertinent materials accessible to the patrons of the NASA HQ
Library. All items are available at the Headquarters Library, except as noted. NASA Headquarters employees and
contractors: Call x0168 or email Library@hq.nasa.gov for information on
borrowing or in-library use of any of these items. Members of the public: Contact your local library for the availability of these items. NASA Headquarters
employees can request additional materials or research on
this topic. The Library welcomes your comments or suggestions about this webpage.
- Boyle, Richard. Performance Reporting: Insights from International Practice. Washington, D.C.: IBM
Center for the Business of Government, 2009.
- HF5549.5 .P35 B695 2009 PPM-STACKS
- NASA/Navy Benchmarking Team. NASA/Navy Benchmarking Exchange (NNBE). Washington, DC: NASA, 2002.
- V858 .N38 2002 vol. I BOOKSTACKS
- Note: The HQ library also has vol. II (published in 2003) and vol. III (published in 2004). The volumes are
also available through NTRS.
- Niven, Paul R. Balanced Scorecard Step-by-step for Government and Nonprofit Agencies. Hoboken, NJ:
Wiley, 2003. ISBN: 0471423289
- JF1525 .T67 N58 2003 BOOKSTACKS
- This book is also available through the Books 24×7 service of SATERN.
- United States. National Aeronautics and Space Administration. Office of Safety and Mission Assurance. Review
and Assessment Division. Observations & Opportunities - Safety Culture & Safety Management Leadership
Bath Iron Works, a General Dynamics Company; A Benchmarking Report. Washington, D.C.: National Aeronautics
and Space Administration, 2004.
- T55 .B384 N373 2004 BOOKSTACKS
- The e-books listed below are available to NASA civil servants and contractors through the Books 24×7
service of SATERN.
- Brown, Mark Graham. Baldrige Award Winning Quality: How to Interpret the Baldrige Criteria for
Performance Excellence, 15th Edition. Productivity Press, 2006. ISBN: 9781563273346
- __________. Beyond the Balanced Scorecard: Improving Business Intelligence with Analytics.
Productivity Press, 2007. ISBN: 9781563273469
- Reider, Rob. Benchmarking Strategies: A Tool for Profit Improvement. John Wiley & Sons, 2000.
- Watson, Gregory H. Strategic Benchmarking Reloaded with Six Sigma: Improving Your Company's Performance
Using Global Best Practice. John Wiley & Sons, 2007. ISBN:9780470069080
- The e-book listed below is available to the general public through the National
- Committee for Oversight and Assessment of U.S Department of Energy Project Management. Measuring
Performance and Benchmarking Project Management at the Department of Energy. 2005. ISBN: 9780309097086
- Bilardo, Vincent J., et al. "Seven Key Principles of Program and Project Success: A Best Practices Survey",
in: NASA APPEL Project Management Challenge Conference, Galveston, TX, 6-7 Feb. 2007.
- (20080021182: (June 2008) NTRS)
- Boring, Ronald L., et al. "Lessons Learned on Benchmarking from the International Human Reliability Analysis
Empirical Study", in: 10th International Probabilistic Safety Assessment & Management Conference
(PSAM10), Seattle, WA, June 7-11, 2010.
- (978370: (June 2010) Dept. of Energy Information
- Cobleigh, Brent. "A Collaboration on Collaboration", ASK Magazine, no. 20 (Nov. 2004): 34-38.
- Also available through NTRS as CASI no. 20050019322.
- Godfrey, Sally, and Heather Rarick. "NASA Software Engineering Benchmarking Effort" , in: PM
Challenge, Orlando, FL, Feb. 21-23, 2012.
- (20120008329: (Feb. 2012) NTRS)
- Kasunic, Mark. A Data Specification for Software Project Performance Measures: Results of a Collaboration
on Performance Measurement. Software Engineering Institute, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, July
- (ADA485964: (Sept. 2008) DTIC)
- Lois, Erasmia, et al. Issues in Benchmarking Human Reliability Analysis Methods: A Literature Review.
SAND2008-2619. Sandia National Laboratories, April 2008.
- (974398: (June 2010) Dept. of Energy Information
- American Productivity and Quality Center. 2012 [July 18, 2012].
- National Institute of Standards and Technology. Baldridge National Quality Program. July 9, 2012 [July 18,
- U.S. Government Acountability Office. Selected GAO Best Practices Work. March 19, 2007 [July 23, 2012].
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. The Art of Benchmarking. Nov. 16, 2003 [July 23, 2012].