Program/Project Management Resource List #15
Revised Oct. 2011
Provided by the NASA Headquarters Library
Program management lies between strategic planning and project management, since a strategic plan proposes programs that an organization will undertake. Each program is made up of several different projects. For instance, the Pioneer program included over a dozen spacecraft, ranging from simple test craft like Pioneer IV to deep space probes like Pioneer X, the first spacecraft from Earth to head on an interstellar journey. You may find other items of interest in some of our webpages, such as Vision and Strategic Planning, Project Management Introductory Texts, Project Budgeting and Cost Control, and Measuring Return on Investment for Government Programs and Agencies.
All items are available at the Headquarters Library, except as noted. NASA Headquarters employees and contractors: Call x0168 or email Library@hq.nasa.gov for information on borrowing or in-library use of any of these items. Members of the public: Contact your local library for the availability of these items. NASA Headquarters employees can request additional materials or research on this topic. The Library welcomes your comments or suggestions about this webpage.
|Contents:||Policies||Books||E-books||Articles and Reports||Internet Resources|
- The following policies and procedural requirements can be accessed by anyone through the NASA Online Directives Information System:
- NASA Policy Directives and Procedural Requirements 7000-7999 (Program Formulation) and 8000-8999 (Program Management)
- Archibald, Russell D. Managing High-technology Programs and Projects. New York, NY: Wiley, 2003.
- T56.8 .A7 2003 PPM-STACKS
- Blomquist, Tomas. Middle Managers in Program and Project Portfolio Management: Practices, Roles and Responsibilities. Newtown Square, PA: Project Management Institute, 2006.
- HD69 .P75 B57 2006 PPM-STACKS
- Also available as an e-book in SATERN.
- Brown, James T. The Handbook of Program Management: How to Facilitate Project Success with Optimal Program Management. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 2007.
- HD69 .P75 B762 2007 PPM-STACKS
- Project Management Institute. The Standard for Program Management. Newtown Square, PA: Project Management Institute, 2006.
- HD69 .P75 S73 2006 PPM-STACKS
- Also available as an e-book in SATERN.
- Tjahjana, Lia, Paul Dwyer, and Mohsin Habib. The Program Management Office Advantage: A Powerful and Centralized Way. New York, NY: American Management Association, 2009.
- HD69 .P75 T53 2009 PPM-STACKS
- United States. Government Accountability Office. GAO Cost Estimating and Assessment Guide: Best Practices for Developing and Managing Capital Program Costs. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Accountability Office, 2009.
- HD47.3 .G36 2009 BOOKSTACKS
- Also available through the website of the GAO
- All e-books listed here are available to NASA civil servants and contractors through the Books 24x7 service of SATERN.
- Cooper, Robert G., Scott J. Edgett, and Elko J. Kleinschmidt. Portfolio Management for New Products. Perseus Publishing, 2001.
- Levin, Ginger. Interpersonal Skills for Portfolio, Program, and Project Managers. Management Concepts, 2010.
- Levin, Ginger, and Allen R. Green. Implementing Program Management: Templates and Forms Aligned with the Standard for Program Management, Second Edition. Auerbach Publications, 2010.
- Morris, Peter W.G., and Jeffrey K. Pinto (eds.). The Wiley Guide to Project, Program, and Portfolio Management. John Wiley and Sons, 2007.
- Rad, Parviz F., and Ginger Levin. Project Portfolio Management Tools and Techniques. IIL Publishing, 2006.
- Sanghera, Paul. Fundamentals of Effective Program Management: A Process Approach Based on the Global Standard. J. Ross Publishing, 2008.
- Bilardo, Vincent J., et al. Seven Key Principles of Program and Project Success: A Best Practices Survey. NASA-TM-2008-214692. Glenn Research Center, Cleveland, OH, April 2008.
- (20080021182: (June 2009) NTRS)
- Cottengim, David. "Irreducible Truths of Software-Intensive Program Management", Defense Acquisition Review Journal, Dec. 2005-March 2006, p. 392-403.
- Also available through DTIC as document no. ADA487810.
- Gadeken, Owen. "Learning program management on the battlefield at Gettysburg", Defense Acquisition, Technology, and Logistics Magazine, vol. XXXVI, no. 1 (Jan.-Feb. 2007), p. 26-29.
- Available online at the Defense AT&L Archive Database
- Pisano, N.D. Technical Performance Measurement, Earned Value, and Risk Management: An Integrated Diagnostic Tool for Program Management. Anti-Submarine Warfare Systems Project Office, Washington, DC, June 2002.
- (ADA404646: (June 2002) DTIC)
- Taneyhill, Dorothy E. Program Management Challenges in a Joint Service Environment, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, May 10, 2007.
- (ADA493658: (Feb. 25, 2009) DTIC)
- Woodall, Yonghee K. The Program Management Challenges of Web 2.0. Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA, June 2010.
- (ADA524816: (June 2010) DTIC)
- Scott, Matt. Academy of Program/Project and Engineering Leadership. Sept. 2, 2011 [Oct. 12, 2011].
- US Dept. of Energy. Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy. Office of Business Administration. Program Management Initiative. Sept. 15, 2010 [Oct. 12, 2011].
- Universities Space Research Association. Program/Project Management Development. 2011 [Oct. 12, 2011]
- Wilson, Jim. Independent Program and Cost Evaluation. Sept. 30, 2010 [Oct. 12, 2011].
- Yew, Manson. Program/Project Management Community. NASA Engineering Network. 2011 [Oct. 12, 2011]
- This website is only accessible to NASA civil servants and contractors.
Last Updated: Oct. 2011