Program/Project Management Resource List #16
Revised Feb. 2012
Provided by the NASA Headquarters Library
"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized." - attributed to
NASA was formed with the purpose of maintaining American leadership in aeronautics and in spaceflight. This goal has
been achieved through steady development of new technologies and amazing feats of ingenuity and courage, such as the
landings on the Moon, the Grand Tour of the Voyager probes to all of the solar system's gas giant planets, the treks of
Spirit and Opportunity across the hills and valleys of Mars, and the building of the International Space Station.
Through all these years, NASA has been guided by people with visions of what NASA ought to be doing to fulfill its
purpose and plans of action which would bring about the realization of those visions. This webpage lists resources on
vision-forming and strategic planning at the NASA Headquarters Library. You may also find useful resources in our
webpages on Science Policy, Corporate Culture, Organizational Change, Change Management, Innovation and Creativity in the Workplace, Creative Problem Solving and Developing Leadership Skills. If you are a NASA HQ
employee, please consider subscribing to our news
alerts on think tank reports and government agency reports to get the latest news.
All items are available at the Headquarters Library, except as noted. NASA Headquarters employees and contractors:
Call x0168 or email Library@hq.nasa.gov for information on borrowing or in-
library use of any of these items. Members of the public: Contact your local
library for the availability of these items. NASA Headquarters employees can request additional materials or research on this
topic. The Library welcomes your comments or suggestions about this webpage.
- The following policies and procedural requirements can be accessed by anyone through the NASA Online Directives Information System:
- NASA Policy Document 1000.0A: NASA Governance and Strategic Management Handbook
- NASA Policy Document 1001.0A: 2011 NASA Strategic Plan
- Besanko, David, David Dranove, and Mark Shanley. Economics of Strategy. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2004. (ISBN:
- HD30.28 .B46 2004 PPM-STACKS
- Betz, Frederick. Managing Technological Innovation: Competitive Advantage from Change. Hoboken, NJ: John
2003. (ISBN: 0471225630)
- HD45 .B443 2003 PPM-STACKS
- Georghiou, Luke (ed.). The Handbook of Technology Foresight: Concepts and Practice. Cheltenham, UK: Edward
Elgar, 2008. (ISBN: 1845425863)
- HC79 .T4 H3533 2008 BOOKSTACKS
- Kaplan, Robert S., and David P. Norton. Strategy Maps: Converting Intangible Assets into Tangible Outcomes.
Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press, 2004. (ISBN: 1591391342)
- HD30.28 .K35 2004 PPM-STACKS
- Kotnour, Timothy G. Transforming Organizations: Strategies and Methods. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2010.
- HD58.8 .K668 2010 PPM-STACKS
- Ross, Jeanne W., Peter Weill, and David C. Robertson. Enterprise Architecture as Strategy: Creating a Foundation
for Business Execution. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press, 2006. (ISBN: 1591398398)
- HD30.2 .R67 2006 PPM-STACKS
- Taleb, Nassim Nicholas. The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable. New York, NY: Random House,
2007. (ISBN: 9781400063512)
- Q375 .T35 2007 PPM-STACKS
- Van der Heijden, Kees. Scenarios: The Art of Strategic Conversation. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons, 2005.
- HF5718 .V36 2005 BOOKSTACKS
- Wheelen, Thomas L., and David Hunger. Strategic Management and Business Policy: Concept and Cases. Upper
Saddle River, NJ: Pearson/Prentice Hall, 2008. (ISBN: 9780132323468)
- HD30.28 .W43 2008B PPM-STACKS
- All e-books listed here are available to NASA civil servants and contractors through the Books 24x7 service of SATERN.
- Criswell, Corey, and Talula Cartwright. Creating a Vision. Center for Creative Leadership, 2010. (ISBN:
- Nolan, Timothy N., Leonard D. Goodstein, and Jeanette Goodstein. Applied Strategic Planning: An Introduction,
2nd Edition. Pfeiffer, 2008. (ISBN: 9780787988524)
- Olsen, Erica. Strategic Planning for Dummies. John Wiley & Sons, 2007. (ISBN: 9780470037164>
- Raynor, Michael E. The Strategy Paradox: Why Committing to Success Leads to Failure (And What to Do About It)
Doubleday Publishing Group, 2007. (ISBN: 9780385516228)
- Shenhar, Aaron J., Dragan Milosevic, Dov Dvir, and Hans Thamhain. Linking Project Management to Business
Strategy. Project Management Institute, 2007. (ISBN: 9781933890333)
- Wheeler, Cass. You've Gotta Have Heart: Achieving Purpose Beyond Profit in the Social Sector. AMACOM, 2009.
- Whitehead, Jo. What You Need to Know about Strategy. Capstone Publishing, 2011. (ISBN: 9780857081018)
- Wootton, Simon, and Terry Horne. Strategic Thinking: A Nine Step Approach to Strategy and Leadership for Managers
and Marketers, 3rd edition. Kogan Page, 2010. (ISBN: 9780749460778)
- Caliva, Robret M., James A. Murphy, and Kyle B. Oswald. "Evolution of a Unique Systems Engineering Capability", in:
INCOSE International Symposium, Denver, CO, June 19-23, 2011.
- (1017889: (June 2011) DOE Information Bridge)
- Fernandez, Joseph A. Contextual Role of TRLs and MRLs in Technology Management. SAND2010-7595. Sandia
National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM, Nov. 2010.
- (1002093: (Nov. 2010) DOE Information Bridge)
- Gates, Linda P. Strategic Planning with Critical Success Factors and Future Scenarios: An Integrated Strategic
Planning Framework. Software Engineering Institute, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, Nov. 2010.
- (ADA532574: (Nov. 2010) DTIC)
- Jeffs, Margie, et al. "Using VE to Strategically Plan Our Future", in: Society of Value Engineers (SAVE),
Detroit, MI, June 27-July 2, 2009.
- (961927: (Oct. 2009) DOE Information Bridge)
- Olivarius, Niels de Fine, et al. "Dynamic Strategic Planning in a Professional Knowledge-Based Organization",
Journal of Research Administration, vol. XLI, no. 1 (Spring 2010), p. 35-48.
- Available through ERIC as document no. EJ886791.
- Wolf III, Wilbur E. The Dirty Dozen Keys to Strategy Success. US Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, PA,
- (ADA449261: (July 2006) DTIC)
- Young, Lester, Thomas E. Reynolds, and Thomas L. Harris II. Organizational Strategic Planning and Execution:
Should Governmental Organizations Rely on Strategic Planning for the Success of the Organization?. Naval
postgraduate School, Monterey, CA, June 2007.
- (ADA470072: (June 2007) DTIC)
- Acceleration Studies Foundation. 2010 [Jan. 31, 2012].
- Association of Professional Futurists. 2012 [Jan. 31, 2012].
- Department of Veterans' Affairs. Federal Forecasters' Consortium. April 26, 2011 [Jan. 31, 2012].
- International Institute of Forecasters. Dec. 6, 2011 [Jan. 31, 2012].
- The Millennium Project. 2011 [Jan. 31, 2012].
- NASA Headquarters Library. Management and Policy Documents. Jan. 2012 [Jan. 31, 2012].
- Wilson, Jim. Budget Documents, Strategic Plans and Performance Reports. Dec. 21, 2011 [Jan. 31, 2012].
- United Nations Industrial Development Organization. Technology Foresight. July 13, 2011 [Jan. 31, 2012].
- World Future Society. Jan. 2012 [Jan. 31, 2012].
- World Futures Studies Federation. 2012 [Jan. 31, 2012].