Managerial Core Competence
Program/Project Management Resource List #25
Revised Nov. 2011
The arts of the leader and the manager are two sides of one coin. While a leader is concerned with morale and vision, a manager is concerned with the nitty-gritty of getting things done under budget and on time. However, given the wide variety of activities that are done at NASA, this simple definition leads to other questions:
- Is there a single "recipe" for a successful manager?
- Can managers from different directorates and offices be compared meaningfully?
In addition to the items found here, other items of interest may be found in the library's webpages on Measuring Organizational Effectiveness in Research and Development Organizations, Executive Resource Management, Creative Problem Solving, The Benchmarking Process Innovation and Creativity in the Workplace, Managing Scientists and Engineers, and Project Management Introductory Texts.
All items are available at the Headquarters Library, except as noted. NASA Headquarters employees and contractors: Call x0168 or email Library@hq.nasa.gov for information on borrowing or in-library use of any of these items. Members of the public: Contact your local library for the availability of these items. NASA Headquarters employees can request additional materials or research on this topic. The Library welcomes your comments or suggestions about this webpage.
|Contents:||Policies||Books||E-books||Articles and Reports||Internet Resources|
- The following policies and procedural requirements can be accessed by anyone through the NASA Online Directives Information System:
- NASA Policy Directive 1000.0A: NASA Governance and Strategic Management Handbook.
- NASA Policy Directive 1280.1A: NASA Integrated Management System Policy
- Goddard Space Flight Center. Office of Human Capital Management. Workforce Competency Management Dictionary. Washington, DC: National Aeronautics and Space Administration, 2006.
- TL521.312 .U55 W67 2006 BOOKSTACKS
- Project Management Institute. Project Manager Competency Development (PMCD) Framework. Newtown Square, PA: Project Management Institute, 2002.
- HD69 .P75 P79 2002 PPM-STACKS
- Also available to NASA civil servants and contractors through the Books 24x7 service of SATERN.
- Wheeler, Michael L. The Diversity Executive: Tasks, Competencies, and Strategies for Effective Leadership. New York, NY: Conference Board, 2001.
- HF5549.5 .M5 W53 2001 PPM-STACKS
- All e-books listed here are available to NASA civil servants and contractors through the Books 24x7 service of SATERN.
- Estep, Tora (ed.). Be A Better Manager. ASTD, 2006.
- Mintzberg, Henry. Managers not MBAs: A Hard Look at the Soft Practice of Managing and Management Development. Berrett-Koehler Publishers, 2004.
- Morris, Peter W.G., and Jeffrey K. Pinto (eds.). The Wiley Guide to Project Organization & Project Management Competencies. John Wiley & Sons, 2007.
- Tobin, Daniel R., and Margaret S. Pettingell. The AMA Guide to Management Development. AMACOM, 2008.
- Turner, Rodney, and Ralf Müller. Choosing Appropriate Project Managers: Matching Their Leadership Style to the Type of Project. Project Management Institute, 2006.
- The e-book listed below is available to the general public through the National Academies Press.
- Committee on Core Competencies for Federal Facilities Asset Management 2005-2020. Core Competencies for Federal Facilities Asset Management Through 2020: Transformational Strategies. 2008.
- Burt, Rebecca A., and Sheryl K. Narahara. History and testimony of competency-based development at Sandia National Laboratories. SAND2004-1242. Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, New Mexico, April 1, 2004.
- (918754: (Dec. 22, 2008) DOE Information Bridge)
- Dreyfus, Christine R. "Identifying competencies that predict effectiveness of R & D managers", Journal of Management Development, vol. XXVII, no. 1, p. 76-91.
- Available online at http://competencyinternational.com/Dreyfus_EI_SI_comps_RD_mgrs.pdf
- Goehring, Sidney W. An Analysis of Competencies for Managing Science and Technology Programs. Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, OH, March 19, 2008.
- (ADA488938: (March 2008) DTIC)
- Vrachinopoulos, Athanasios. Program Managers' Competencies: A Consideration of Project Management Competencies on the Specific Case of the Land Reserve Modernization Project at Meaford, Ontario, Canada. Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA, Sept. 2006.
- (ADA457737: (Sept. 2006) DTIC)
- Welch, Andrew M. A Forecast of Competencies Required for Management of Multiple Site Healthcare Services: A Delphi Study of Managers in a Veterans Health Administration Integrated System. Central Texas Veterans' Health Care system, Department of Veterans' Affairs, Austin, TX, June 21, 2001.
- (ADA420628: (June 21, 2001) DTIC)
- Wood, Roy L. "How Well Are PMs Doing? Industry View of Defense Program Manager Counterparts", Defense Acquisition Review Journal, April 1, 2010, p. 206-218.
- (ADA518857: (April 1, 2010) DTIC)
- Hoberecht, Bill. PM Notebook. Professional Development. 2010 [Nov. 16, 2011].
- Management Standards Centre. 2008 [Nov. 16, 2011].
- Scott, Matt. ASK Magazine Lessons. July 21, 2011 [Nov. 16, 2011].
- __________. NASA Systems Engineering Leadership Development Program (SELDP). July 21, 2011 [Nov. 16, 2011].
- U.S. Office of Personnel Management. Senior Executive Service. Executive Core Qualifications. 2010 [Nov. 16, 2011].
- World Health Organization. MAKER (Managers taking Action based on Knowledge and Effective use of resources to achieve Results). General management topics: Overall competencies. 2011 [Nov. 16, 2011].
Last Updated: Nov. 2011