Creative Problem Solving
Program/Project Management Resource List #28
Revised Aug. 2011
Provided by the NASA Headquarters Library
"...there are more ways than one to skin a cat"
Americans have tapped the well of genius from the very earliest days of the nation, starting with the first patent in 1790. NASA is the heir to the pioneering spirit that sent people westward through deep forests, unploughed prairies, trackless deserts, and mountains. Today, it draws upon that well to face the dangers of outer space. This webpage covers ways to unstick the gears of your ingenuity. You may also find interesting items in our webpages on Innovation and Creativity in the Workplace, or Teams and Teamwork.
All items are available at the Headquarters Library, except as noted. NASA Headquarters employees and contractors: Call x0168 or email Library@hq.nasa.gov for information on borrowing or in-library use of any of these items. Members of the public: Contact your local library for the availability of these items. NASA Headquarters employees can request additional materials or research on this topic. The Library welcomes your comments or suggestions about this webpage.
|Contents:||Books||E-books||Articles and Reports||Internet Resources|
- Arden, Paul. Whatever You Think Think the Opposite. New York, NY: Portfolio, 2006.
- BF408 .A73 2006 BOOKSTACKS
- Firestien, Roger L.. Why Didn't I Think of That?: A Guide to Better Ideas and Decision Making: A Fable. Williamsville, NY: Innovation Resources, 2000.
- HD30.23 .F57 2000 PPM-STACKS
- Roam, Dan. The Back of the Napkin: Solving Problems and Selling Ideas with Pictures. New York, NY: Portfolio, 2008.
- HD30.29 .R625 2008 BOOKSTACKS
- Shaw, Milton Clayton. Engineering Problem Solving: A Classical Perspective. Norwich, NY: Noyes Publications/William Andrew Pub., 2001.
- TA330 .S47 2001 BOOKSTACKS
- Thompson, Charles C.. What a Great Idea! 2.0: Unlocking Your Creativity in Business and in Life. Keswick, VA: Creative Management Group, 2010.
- BF408 .T46 2010 PPM-STACKS
- All e-books listed here are available to NASA civil servants and contractors through the Books 24x7 service of SATERN.
- Axelrod, Alan. Edison on Innovation: 102 Lessons in Creativity for Business and Beyond. Jossey-Bass, 2008.
- Kotter, John P., and Lorne A. Whitehead. Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down. Harvard Business Press, 2010.
- Linkner, Josh. Disciplined Dreaming: A Proven System to Drive Breakthrough Creativity. Jossey-Bass, 2011.
- Maisel, Eric, and Ann Maisel. Brainstorm: Harnessing the Power of Productive Obsessions. New World Library, 2010.
- Pensak, David, and Elizabeth Licorish. Innovation for Underdogs: How to Make the Leap From What If to Now What. Career Press, 2008.
- The e-book listed below is available to the general public through the National Academies Press.
- Mitchell, William J., Alan S. Inouye, and Marjory S. Blumenthal (eds.). Beyond Productivity: Information, Technology, Innovation, and Creativity, 2003.
- Allen, Charles D.. Creative Thinking for Individuals and Teams: An Essay on Creative Thinking for Military Professionals. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, PA, 2009.
- (ADA511957: (2009) DTIC)
- Banach, Stefan J., and Alex Ryan. "The Art of Design: A Design Methodology", Military Review, March-April 2009, p. 105-115.
- (ADA518192: (2009) DTIC)
- Camarda, Charles J.. "A Return to Innovative Engineering Design, Critical Thinking and Systems Engineering", in: 29th International Thermal Conductivity Conference (ITCC)/17th International Thermal Expansion Symposium (ITES), Birmingham, AL, June 24-27, 2007.
- (200700319276: (Oct. 24, 2007) NTRS)
- DiLiello, Trudy C., and Jeffery D. Houghton. "Self-leadership and Creativity Differences in Line and Supervisory Defense Acquisition Employees", in: 4th Annual Acquisition Research Symposium of the Naval Postgraduate School: Acquisition Research: Creating Synergy for Informed Change, Monterey, CA, May 16-17, 2007.
- (ADA4948782: (2007) DTIC)
- Gouker, Brian. Creative Thinking for Strategic Leaders. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, PA, 2003.
- (ADA416589: (2003) DTIC)
- Perl, Martin L. "A Contrarian View of How to Develop Creativity in Science and Engineering", in: The Eighth Olympiad of the Mind, Washington, DC, Nov. 15-16, 2007.
- (919407: (Nov. 24, 2008) Dept. of Energy Information Bridge)
- Story, Kurt S. "Using Creativity to Develop Space Concepts", Army Space Journal, Spring 2009, p. 8-17.
- (ADA514777: (2009) DTIC)
- American Creativity Association. 2011 [August 30, 2011].
- Capital Creativity Network. 2011 [August 30, 2011].
- Creative Education Foundation. 2011 [August 30, 2011].
- International Society for Professional Innovation Management. 2011 [August 30, 2011].
- Scott, Matt. Ask Magazine Archive. July 21, 2011 [August 30, 2011].
Last Updated: August 2011