Interpersonal Relations and Group Dynamics
Program/Project Management Resource List #29
Revised Nov. 2010
Provided by the NASA Headquarters Library
"No man is an island..." - Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions, Meditation XVII, John Donne
The ability to empathize and get along with others is an important part of anyone's life. Since most adults spend the vast majority of their waking life at the office, it is a factor in job performance. Group dynamics is also a part of NASA's mission planning, as long expeditions on the International Space Station are part of the agency's ongoing human spaceflight program. This bibliography covers emotional intelligence, interpersonal relations, and group dynamics in the workplace. You may also find helpful materials in the HQ library's webpages on Teams and Teamwork, Management Communications, Corporate Culture, and Workplace Stress.
All items are available at the Headquarters Library, except as noted. NASA Headquarters employees and contractors: Call x0168 or email Library@hq.nasa.gov for information on borrowing or in-library use of any of these items. Members of the public: Contact your local library for the availability of these items. NASA Headquarters employees can request additional materials or research on this topic. The Library welcomes your comments or suggestions about this webpage.
|Contents:||Policies||Books||E-books||Articles and Reports||Internet Resources|
- The following policies and procedural requirements can be accessed by anyone through the NASA Online Directives Information System:
- NASA Policy Directive 2010.2C: Alternative Dispute Resolution
- NASA Policy Directive 2025.1A: NASA Ombuds Program
- NASA Policy Directives and Procedural Requirements 3000-3999 Human Resources and Personnel
- NASA Procedural Requirements 5200.1D: Industrial Labor Relations Manual
- Cloke, Ken, and Joan Goldsmith. Resolving Conflicts at Work: A Complete Guide for Everyone on the Job. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass Publishers, 2000.
- HD42 .C56 2000 BOOKSTACKS
- Goleman, Daniel. Primal Leadership: Realizing the Power of Emotional Intelligence. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press, 2002.
- HD57.7 .G65 2002 PPM-STACKS
- The HQ library also has an audio CD of this book.
- Pellerin, Charles J. How NASA Builds Teams: Mission Critical Soft Skills for Scientists, Engineers, and Project Teams. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons 2009.
- HD66 .P455 2009 PPM-STACKS
- Silberman, Melvin L. People Smart: Developing Your Interpersonal Intelligence. San Francisco, CA: Berrett-Koehler, 2000.
- BF576 .S57 2000 BOOKSTACKS
- All e-books listed here are available to NASA civil servants and contractors through the Books 24x7 service of SATERN.
- Doherty, Nora, and Marcelas Guyler. The Essential Guide to Workplace Mediation and Conflict Resolution: Rebuilding Working Relationships. Kogan Page, 2008.
- Irwin, Brian. Managing Politics and Conflict in Projects. Management Concepts, 2008.
- Mersino, Anthony C. Emotional Intelligence for Project Managers: The People Skills You Need to Achieve Outstanding Results. AMACOM, 2007.
- Stein, Steven J. Emotional Intelligence for Dummies. John Wiley and Sons, 2009.
- __________. Make Your Workplace Great: The 7 Keys to an Emotionally Intelligent Organization. Jossey-Bass, 2007.
- Gezeravci, Alper. Analyzing Individual Decision Making Versus Group Decision Making for Alternative Selection. Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Dayton, OH, June 2008.
- (ADA520206: (May 2010) DTIC)
- Kanas, N., et al. "Human Interactions during Shuttle/Mir space missions", Acta Astronautica, vol. XLVII, nos. 5-12, p. 777-784.
- Maughan, Bryan D. "Mentoring Among Scientists: Implications of Interpersonal Relationships within a Formal Mentoring Program", in: Winter Meeting and Nuclear Technology Expo, Albuquerque, NM, Nov. 12-16, 2006.
- (911875: (Aug. 2009) Dept. of Energy Information Bridge)
- Moonier, James E., Spencer L. Baker, and Mark L. Greene. Trust, Mistrust, and Organizational design: Understanding the Effects of Social Configurations. Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA, Dec. 2008.
- (ADA493906: (Feb. 2009) DTIC)
- Salo, Mikael. The Relation between Group-Level Characteristics and Group Cohesion. National Defence College, Helsinki, Finland, Nov. 2006.
- (ADA460547: (Feb. 2007) DTIC)
- Trabun, Michael A. The Relationship Between Emotional Intelligence and Leader Performance. Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA, March 2002.
- (ADA403540: (July 2002) DTIC)
- Consortium for Research on Emotional Intelligence in Organizations. 2010 [Nov. 10, 2010]
- GroupRelations. July 2010 [Nov. 10, 2010]
- International Association for Conflict Management. Feb. 4, 2010 [Nov. 10, 2010]
- Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology. Oct. 20, 2010 [Nov. 10, 2010]
- Trevarthen, Ellie. Ask Magazine Archives. May 12, 2010 [Nov. 10, 2010]
- See entries under Environment (Work), Politics, and Trust.
Last Updated: Nov. 2010