Program/Project Management Resource List #33
Revised Jan 2011
Provided by the NASA Headquarters Library
A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. - Proverbs 15:1
Communication is integral to the proper running of any enterprise, whether it is a kid's lemonade stand or a government agency with offices all over the country. Posters, letters, webpages, emails, and phone calls are an organization's nervous system, informing and activating its different parts. In order to keep this system on track, effective management communication is a vital necessity.
The NASA HQ library also has resource lists on Interpersonal Relations and Group Dynamics, Teams and Teamwork, and Corporate Culture which may shed some additional light on this vital field. The HQ library also has a resource list for communicating scientific concepts to the general public.
All items are available at the Headquarters Library, except as noted. NASA Headquarters employees and contractors: Call x0168 or email Library@hq.nasa.gov for information on borrowing or in-library use of any of these items. Members of the public: Contact your local library for the availability of these items. NASA Headquarters employees can request additional materials or research on this topic. The Library welcomes your comments or suggestions about this webpage.
- The following policies and procedural requirements can be accessed by anyone through the NASA Online Directives Information System:
- NASA Policy Directive 1400.1J: Documentation and Promulgation of Internal NASA Requirements
- NASA Procedural Requirements 1400.1D: NASA Directives Procedural Requirements
- NASA Procedural Requirements 1450.10D: NASA Correspondence Management and Communications Standards and Style
- NASA Policy Directive 2521.1A: Communications Material Review
- NASA Policy Directives and Procedural Requirements 3000-3999: Human Resources and Personnel
- Clarke, Boyd. The Leader's Voice: How Your Communication can Inspire Action and Get Results!. New York, NY: Select Books, 2002.
- HD57.7 .C53 2002 PPM-STACKS
- Mitroff, Ian I. Managing Crises Before They Happen: What Every Executive and Manager Needs to Know About Crisis Management. New York, NY: AMACOM, 2000.
- HD49 .M68 2001 PPM-STACKS
- Rider, Donald G. Effective Writing for Feds. Huntsville, AL: FPMI Communications, Inc., 2001.
- PE1408 .R54 2001 PPM-STACKS
- Stelzner, Michael A. Writing White Papers: How to Capture Readers and Keep Them Engaged. Poway, CA: WhitePaperSource Pub., 2007.
- T11 .S74 2007 BOOKSTACKS
- Tompkins, Phillip K. Apollo, Challenger, Columbia: The Decline of the Space Program: A Study in Organizational Communication. Los Angeles, CA: Roxbury Pub. Co., 2005.
- TL867 .T65 2004 BOOKSTACKS
- Tufte, Edward R. The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint. Cheshire, CT: Graphics Press, 2003.
- P93.5 .T83 2003 BOOKSTACKS
- Van der Heijden, Kees. Scenarios: The Art of Strategic Conversation. Chichester, West Sussex; Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
- HF5718 .V36 2005 BOOKSTACKS
- All e-books listed here are available to NASA civil servants and contractors through the Books 24x7 service of SATERN.
- Bell, Arthur H., and Dayle M. Smith. Management Communication. John Wiley & Sons, 2010.
- Bly, Robert W., and Regina Anne Kelly. The Encyclopedia of Business Letters, Faxes, and E-Mail. Career Press, 2009.
- Campbell, G. Michael. Communications Skills for Project Managers. AMACOM, 2009.
- D'Aprix, Roger. The Credible Company: Communicating with a Skeptical Workforce. Jossey-Bass, 2009.
- Forsyth, Patrick. How to Write Reports and Proposals. Kogan Page, 2006.
- Smith, Lyn, and Pamela Mounter. Effective Internal Communication. Kogan Page, 2008.
- Song, Mike, Vicki Halsey, and Tim Burress. The Hamster Revolution: How to Manage Your Email Before it Manages You.
Berrett-Koehler Publishers, 2007.
- Weiner, Allen. So Smart But...: How Intelligent People Lose Credibility: and How They Can Get it Back. Jossey-Bass, 2007.
- Zelazny, Gene. Say It with Presentations: How to Design and Deliver Successful Business Presentations. McGraw-Hill, 2006.
Damewood, Rachel, and Bowen Huntsman. "Communication - An Effective Tool for Implementing ISO 14001/EMS", in: National Association of Environmental Professionals 29th Annual Conference, Portland, OR, April 25-28, 2004.
(910790: (Aug. 2009) DOE Information Bridge)
Polania, William G. Leveraging Social Networking Technologies: An Analysis of the Knowledge Flows Facilitated by Social Media and the Potential
Improvements in Situational Awareness, Readiness, and Productivity, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA, Sept. 2010.
(ADA531471: (Nov. 2010) DTIC)
Pomplun, A.R., et al. Improving Employee Communications, SAND99-8001, Sandia National Laboratories, Livermore, CA, Jan. 1, 1999.
(5993: (Feb. 2008) DOE Information Bridge)
Rogers, Edward W. "Measuring Organizational Communication Health", in The 2002 NASA Faculty Fellowship Program Research Reports, NASA/CR-2003-212397, Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntville, AL, 2002.
(20030093581: (Oct. 2003) NTRS)
Saldivar, E. "Transforming the SRS Environmental Business: Communication and Applied Project Management Principles", in: WM2010 Conference, Phoenix, AZ, March 7-11, 2010.
(973790: (April 2010) DOE Information Bridge)
Turk, Wayne. "Surviving Written Communication", Defense A T & L Magazine, Vol. XXXIX, no. 5, (Sept.-Oct. 2010), p. 48-51.
Also available through DTIC as document no. ADA530533.
- Association for Business Communication. Dec. 18, 2010 [Dec. 20, 2010].
- Association of Professional Communication Consultants. 2010 [Dec. 20, 2010].
- Holm, Jeanne. NASA Office of Communications Planning. Dec. 7, 2010 [Dec. 20, 2010]
- International Association of Business Communicators. 2010 [Dec. 20, 2010].
- Toastmasters International. 2010 [Dec. 20, 2010]
- Trevarthen, Ellie. ASK Magazine Lessons. May 12, 2010 [Dec. 20, 2010].
- Tufte, Edward, and Dariane Hunt. The Work of Edward Tufte and Graphcs Press. 2010 [Jan. 5 2011].