Program/Project Management Resource List #36
Revised June 2012
Provided by the NASA Headquarters Library
"Too great and sudden changes, though for the better, are not easily borne.", R. Christy, Proverbs, Maxims and Phrases of All Ages
When too many aspects of an organization change at once, or when the pace of change is too high, the organizational change process will be derailed. These resources lay out ways in which the spread and speed of change can be properly controlled, and also suggest remedies for organizational change efforts gone aground. You may also find helpful materials in the library's websites on Corporate Culture, Organizational Change, and Change Agents.
The following is a select bibliography of pertinent materials accessible to the patrons of the NASA HQ Library. All items are available at the Headquarters Library, except as noted. NASA Headquarters employees and contractors: Call x0168 or email Library@hq.nasa.gov for information on borrowing or in-library use of any of these items. Members of the public: Contact your local library for the availability of these items. NASA Headquarters employees can request additional materials or research on this topic. The Library welcomes your comments or suggestions about this webpage.
|Contents:||Books||E-books||Articles and Reports||Internet Resources|
- Beitler, Michael Allen. Strategic Organizational Change: A Practitioner's Guide for Managers and Consultants. Greensboro, NC: PPI, 2003. ISBN: 0972606408
- HD58.8 .B4467 2003 PPM-STACKS
- Doppelt, Bob. Leading Change Towards Sustainability: A Change-management Guide for Business, Government, and Civil Society. Sheffield, UK: Greenleaf, 2003. ISBN: 1874719632
- HC79 .E5 D68 2003 PPM-STACKS
- Guy, Gregory R. Effecting Change in Business Enterprises: Current Trends in Change Management. New York, NY: Conference Board, 2005. ISBN: 082370856X
- HD58.8 .G88 2005 PPM-STACKS
- Maurer, Rick. Beyond the Wall of Resistance: Why 70% of All Changes Still Fail - And What You Can Do About It. Austin, TX: Bard Press, 2010. ISBN: 9781885167729
- HD58.8 .M3323 2010 PPM-STACKS
- The e-books listed below are available to NASA civil servants and contractors through the Books 24×7 service of SATERN.
- Biech, Elaine. Thriving Through Change: A Leader’s Practical Guide to Change Mastery. ASTD, 2007. ISBN: 9781562864644
- Bunker, Kerry A. Responses to Change: Helping People Manage Transition. Center for Creative Leadership, 2008. ISBN: 9781604910599
- Cameron, Esther, and Mike Green. Making Sense of Change Management: A Complete Guide to the Models, Tools, and Techniques of Organizational Change. Kogan Page, 2009. ISBN: 9780749453107
- Kegan, Robert, and Lisa Laskow Lahey. Immunity to Change: How to Overcome It and Unlock Potential in Yourself and Your Organization. Harvard Business Press, 2009. ISBN:9781422117361
- Trompenaars, Fons, and Peter Prud’Homme. Managing Change Across Corporate Cultures. Capstone Publishing, 2004. ISBN: 9781841125787
- Turner, J. Rodney. The Handbook of Project-Based Management: Leading Strategic Change in Organizations. McGraw-Hill, 2009. ISBN: 9780071549745
- Berriochoa, M.V., and L.J. Alcala. "Changing the Safety Culture in Hanford Tank Farms", in: Waste Management Symposium '09, Phoenix, AZ, March 1, 2009.
- (946531: (Feb. 2009) Dept. of Energy Information Bridge
- Espiritu, Jed R. Implementing the Mission-Funded Naval Shipyard: A Case Study on Change Management. Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA, June 2004.
- (ADA424726: (June 2004) DTIC
- Jansma, Patti A., and Ross M. Jones. "Advancing the practice of systems engineering at JPL", in: IEEE Aerospace Conference, Big Sky, MT, March 4-1, 2006.
- (20070025100: (Aug. 2011) NTRS)
- Johnson-Cramer, Michael E., Salvatore Parise, and Robert L. Cross. "Managing change through networks and values", California Management Review , vol. XLIX, no. 3 (Spring 2007), p. 85-109.
- Kandt, R.K. "Organizational change management principles and practices", in: Profes2002: Fourth International Conference on Product Focused Software Process Improvement, Rovaniemi, Finland, Dec. 9, 2002.
- (20060030274: (Dec. 2006) NTRS)
- Kelly, Jeffrey. Resistance to Organizational Cultural Change in the Military -- A JFO Case Study. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, PA, April 2008.
- (ADA479711: (April 2008) DTIC
- Kidd, Martine S. The Science of Change: The Importance of Methodology in Leading Change in the Army. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, KS, May 2007.
- (ADA479415: (May 2007) DTIC
- Kotter, John P. "Combating Complacency", Business Week, Sept. 15, 2008, p. 54-55.
- Ostroff, Frank. "Change management in government", Harvard Business Review, vol. LXXXIV, no. 5 (May 2006), p. 141-148.
- Vermeulen, Freek, Phanish Puranam, and Ranjay Gulati. "Change for change's sake: Even successful corporations have to shake things up to stay ahead of the competition", Harvard Business Review, vol. LXXXVIII, no. 6 (June 2010), p. 70-77.
- Change Management Institute. 2012 [June 19, 2012]
- Dunbar, Brian. Change Management Action Group. Federal Knowledge Management Working Group. March 20, 2009 [June 19, 2012]
- Improvement and Development Agency for local government (IDeA). Change management. May 23, 2008 [June 19, 2012]
Last Updated: June 2012