Program/Project Management Resource List #5
Revised Nov. 2010
Provided by the NASA Headquarters Library
"People who work together will win, whether it be against complex football defenses, or the problems of modern society." - Vince Lombardi
As engineering projects become more complex, more and more of them are being managed by teams rather than by one person. Teams typically are not formally established, but are informally brought together from different offices to cover one project, and as informally taken apart afterwards. This bibliography covers different workplace team issues, including team building, performance measurement, and the problems faced by teams whose members are all in different places. You may also find helpful materials in the HQ library's webpages on Interpersonal Relations and Group Dynamics and Corporate Culture.
All items are available at the Headquarters Library, except as noted. NASA Headquarters employees and contractors: Call x0168 or email Library@hq.nasa.gov for information on borrowing or in-library use of any of these items. Members of the public:
Contact your local library for the availability of these items. NASA Headquarters employees can request additional materials or research on this topic. The Library welcomes your comments or suggestions about this webpage.
- Arterberrie, Rhonda Y., et al. Team Collaboration: Lessons Learned Report. NASA/TM—2005-213210. Cleveland, OH: National Aeronautics and Space
Administration, Glenn Research Center, 2005.
- HD66 .G74 2004 BOOKSTACKS
- Also available through NTRS as document no. 20050080748.
- Dietrich, Rainer, and Traci Michelle Childress (eds.). Group Interaction in High Risk Environments. Burlington,
VT: Ashgate Pub., 2004.
- HD66 .G74 2004 BOOKSTACKS
- Dietrich, Rainer, and Kateri Jochum. Teaming Up: Components of Safety Under High Risk. Burlington, VT: Ashgate,
- T55 .T33 2004 BOOKSTACKS
- Fisher, Kimball. Leading Self-directed Work Teams: A Guide to Developing New Team Leadership Skills. New York, NY:
- HD66 .F56 2000 PPM-STACKS
- Greer, Charles R., and W. Richard Plunkett. Supervision: Diversity and Teams in the Workplace. Upper Saddle River,
NJ: Prentice Hall, 2000.
- HF5549 .P564 2000 PPM-STACKS
- Orsburn, Jack D., and Linda Moran. The New Self-directed Work Teams: Mastering the Challenge. New York, NY:
- HD66 .S45 2000 PPM-STACKS
- Parker, Glenn M., Jerry McAdams, and David Zielinski. Rewarding Teams: Lessons From the Trenches. San Francisco,
CA: Jossey-Bass Publishers, 2001.
- HF5549.5 .I5 P376 2000 PPM-STACKS
- Pellerin, Charles J. How NASA Builds Teams: Mission Critical Soft Skills for Scientists, Engineers, and Project Teams. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and
- HD66 .P455 2009 PPM-STACKS
- Also available as an e-book in SATERN.
- All e-books listed here are available to NASA civil servants and contractors through the Books 24x7 service of SATERN.
- Lencioni, Patrick. Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Field Guide For Leaders, Managers, and Facilitators. Jossey-Bass, 2005.
- Napier, Rod, and Rich McDaniel. Measuring What Matters: Simplified Tools for Aligning Teams and Their Stakeholders. Davies-Black Publishing,
- Topchik, Gary S. The First-time Manager's Guide to Team Building. AMACOM, 2007.
Baltos, Georgios, and Zoi Mitsopoulou. Team Formation under Normal versus Crisis Situations: Leaders' Assessments of Task Requirements and Selection
of Team Members. Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA, 2007.
(ADA473289: (Nov. 2007) DTIC)
Hannen, Timothy W. The Effect of Personality Style and Team Organization on Team Performance. Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA, 2007.
(ADA475877: (Feb. 2008) DTIC)
Miller, Melissa A. Developing High-Performance Cross-Functional Teams: Understanding Motivations, Functional Loyalties, and Teaming Fundamentals.
LA--13120-T. Los Alamos National Lab., NM, 1996.
(279705: (Nov. 2009) Dept. of Energy Information Bridge)
Phfarr, Barbara B., et al. "Collaborative Systems Thinking: A Response to the Problems Faced by Systems Engineering's 'Middle Tier'", in:
International Council on Systems Engineering, Singapore, July 20-23, 2009.
(20090016182: (July 2009) NTRS)
Prahst, Steve. NASA Team Collaboration Pilot: Enabling NASA's Virtual Teams. Glenn Research Center. Cleveland, OH, 2003.
(20050207561: (June 2008) NTRS)
United States. Department of Energy. Assistant Secretary for Environment, Safety, and Health. Guide to Good Practices for Teamwork Training and
Diagnostic Skills Development. DOE-HDBK--1202-97. Department of Energy, Washington, DC, 1997.
(532687: (Nov. 2009) Dept. of Energy Information Bridge)
Warner, Norman, Michael Letsky, and Michael Cowen. Cognitive Model of Team Collaboration: Macro-Cognitive Focus. Naval Air Systems Command,
Patuxent, MD, 2005.
(ADA476887: (Feb. 2008) DTIC)
- Benson, Tom. Teamwork in Aerospace. May 2010 [Nov. 4, 2010].
- This is an exercise for visitors to Glenn to illustrate how research is performed at the center.
- Trevarthen, Ellie. Ask Magazine Archive. Teams. Dec. 2008 [June 19, 2009].
- U.S. Office of Personnel Management. Teams. April 1999 [Nov. 4, 2010].