Program/Project Management Resource List #61
Revised July 2012
Provided by the NASA Headquarters Library
A long-standing group of people will develop a culture made of shared experiences, attitudes, beliefs, and values.
Cultures tell people what's valuable, what's appropriate, and what's worthy of esteem. A healthy culture can help a group respond to changes in its
surroundings, while an unhealthy culture can cripple a group's ability to respond to those changes. In an organization like NASA, the Department of Defense,
or the Department of Energy, the culture will have many practices and attitudes that revolve around safety and technical risk, to such a degree that it may have a safety subculture.
Now that NASA has retired the Space Shuttle and turns toward new and different missions, one of the pillars that will support the agency will be a culture
that has seen both triumphs and tragedies over the last five decades. This resource list covers NASA's culture and the general issue of sustaining healthy
corporate cultures. Additional light may also be shed on these issues in the NASA HQ library's resource lists on Ethics in the Workplace, Knowledge Management, Organizational Change, The Learning Organization, Management Communication, Interpersonal Relations and Group Dynamics, Teams and Teamwork, Workplace Stress, and Vision and Strategic Planning.
The following is a select bibliography of pertinent materials accessible to the patrons of the NASA HQ Library. All items are available at the
Headquarters Library, except as noted. NASA Headquarters employees and contractors: Call x0168 or email Library@hq.nasa.gov for information on borrowing or in-library use of any of these items. Members of the public:
Contact your local library for the availability of these items. NASA Headquarters employees can request additional materials or research on this topic. The Library welcomes your comments or suggestions about this webpage.
- Antonsen, Sian. Safety Culture: Theory, Method, and Improvement. Farnham, Surrey, UK; Burlington, VT: Ashgate, 2009. ISBN: 9780754676959
- HD7261 .A58 2009 BOOKSTACKS
- Behaviorial Science Technology, Inc. Assessment and Plan for Organizational Culture Change at NASA. Ojai, CA: Behaviorial Science Technology,
Inc.; Washington, DC: National Aeronautics and Space Administration, 2004.
- TL521.312 .A86 2004 BOOKSTACKS
- Hafey, Robert B. Lean Safety: Transforming Your Safety Culture with Team Management. Boca Raton, FL: Productivity Press, 2010. ISBN: 9781439816424
- TS183 .H34 2010 BOOKSTACKS
- Jennings, Jason. Think Big, Act Small: How America's Best Performing Companies Keep the Start-up Spirit Alive. New York, NY: Portfolio, 2005.
- HF5386 .J46 2005 PPM-STACKS
- Kelley, John D. An Organizational History of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration: A Critical Comparison of Administrative Decision
Making in Two Pivotal Eras. Ann Arbor, MI: UMI Dissertation Services, 2004.
- TL521.312 .K46 2002 BOOKSTACKS
- Mahler, Julianne G., and Maureen Hogan Casamayou. Organizational Learning at NASA: The Challenger and Columbia Accidents. Washington, DC:
Georgetown University Press, 2009. ISBN: 9781589012660
- TL521.312 .M32 2009 BOOKSTACKS
- Meylan, Thomas, and Terry Teas. Optimizing Luck: What the Passion to Succeed in Space can Teach Business Leaders on Earth. Mountain View, CA:
Davies-Black Pub., 2007. ISBN: 9780891062226
- HD58.9 .M494 2007 PPM-STACKS
- Note: Also available as an e-book in SATERN.
- Miller, Susan Burgess. Lessons Learned or Lessons Noted: A Retrospective Case Study of the Stored Organizational Memory of the Causes of Mishaps in
NASA. Thesis (Ed.D.)--George Washington University, 2005.
- TL521.3 .L47 2005 PPM-STACKS
- Starbuck, William H., and Moshe Farjoun (eds.). Organization at the Limit: Lessons from the Columbia Disaster. Malden, MA: Blackwell Pub., 2005.
- TL867 .O74 2005 PPM-STACKS
- Tompkins, Phillip K. Apollo, Challenger, Columbia: The Decline of the Space Program: A Study in Organizational Communication. Los Angeles, CA:
Roxbury Pub. Co., 2005. ISBN: 1931719322
- TL867 .T65 2004 BOOKSTACKS
- United States. National Aeronautics and Space Administration. NASA Agencywide Employee and Customer Satisfaction Survey Results. Washington, DC:
- TL521.312 .R39 2008 BOOKSTACKS
- __________. 2008 Annual Employee Survey Results. Washington, DC: NASA, 2009.
- TL521.3 .A568 2008 BOOKSTACKS
- __________. Diaz Team. A Renewed Commitment to Excellence: An Assessment of the NASA-wide Applicability of the Columbia Accident Investigation Board
Report. Washington, DC: NASA, 2004.
- TL795.5 .C662 2004 BOOKSTACKS
- Note: This report is often called the Diaz Report, after the leader of its writing team.
- __________. One NASA Team. The Implementation of the NASA Agency-wide Application of the Columbia Accident Investigation Board Report: Our Renewed
Commitment to Excellence. Washington, DC: NASA, 2004.
- TL795.5 .C663 2004 BOOKSTACKS
- Note: This report is also called the One NASA Team Report.
- The e-books listed below are available to NASA civil servants and contractors through the Books Books 24×7 service of SATERN.
- American Management Association. Cultivating Effective Corporate Cultures: A Global Study of Challenges and Strategies: Current Trends and Future
Possibilities, 2008-2018. American Management Association/Human Resources Institute, 2008.
- Cameron, Kim S., and Robert E. Quinn. Diagnosing and Changing Organizational Culture: Based on the Competing Values Framework. Jossey-Bass, 2011.
- Carrel, Philippe. The Handbook of Risk Management: Implementing a Post-Crisis Corporate Culture. John Wiley & Sons, 2010. ISBN:
- Johnson, Larry, and Bob Phillips. Absolute Honesty: Building a Corporate Culture that Values Straight Talk and Rewards Integrity. AMACOM, 2003.
- Lövey, Imre, Manohar S. Nadkarni, and Eszter Erdélyi. How Healthy is Your Organization?: The Leaderís Guide to Curing Corporate Diseases
and Promoting Joyful Cultures. Greenwood Press, 2007. ISBN: 9780275997762
- Moulton Reger, Sara J. Can Two Rights Make a Wrong?: Insights from IBM's Tangible Culture Approach. IBM Press, 2006. ISBN: 9780131732940
- Adams, Catherine A. "Organizational Culture and Safety ", in: 12th International Symposium on Aviation Psychology, April 14-17, 2003,
- (20030064927: (June 2008) NTRS)
- Aytekin, Yasin, and Nicholas Long. A Managerial Approach to NASA's Cultural Changes: Open System Model, Naval Postgraduate School, Dec. 2007,
- (ADA475773: (Feb. 2008) DTIC)
- Bilardo, Vincent J., et al. "Seven Key Principles of Program and Project Success: A Best Practices Survey", NASA/TM-2008-214692, in: NASA APPEL
Project Management Challenge Conference, Feb. 6-7, 2007, Galveston, TX.
- (20080021182: (July 2009) NTRS)
- Korte, Russell F. "A Case Study of the Socialization of Newly Hired Engineers: How New Engineers Learn the Social Norms of an Organization", in:
Academy of Human Resource Development International Research Conference in the Americas, Panama City, FL, Feb. 20-24, 2008.
- (ED501681: (Feb. 2008) ERIC)
- Kostelnik, Kevin M., and Ann Marie Phillips. Infrastructure Practices of Select World-Class Research Organizations - A Benchmark of Campus Design,
Development, and Implementation Strategies. INL/EXT-05-00537. Idaho National Laboratory, Idaho Falls, ID, July 2005.
- (911241: (Aug. 2009) DoE Information Bridge)
- Leveson, Nancy, et al. "Effectively Addressing NASAís Organizational and Safety Culture: Insights from Systems Safety and Engineering Systems", in: Engineering Systems Division Symposium, MIT, Cambridge, MA, March 29-31, 2004.
- Available online at: http://esd.mit.edu/symposium/pdfs/papers/leveson-c.pdf
- Phillips, Jeffrey A. Incorporating Organizational Culture into a Decision Framework for Identifying and Selecting Knowledge Management Projects.
School of Engineering and Management, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH, March 2003.
- (ADA413400: (March 2003) DTIC)
- Slavin, Adam M. Managing Corporate Capabilities: Theory and Industry Approaches. SAND2007-0644. Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM,
- (902210: (Feb. 2008) DoE Information Bridge)
- Torres, Frank, and Timothy Faust. A Case Study on Organizational Culture and Its Role in the Creation of
Organizational Change Efforts Within a Government Agency. Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA, 2010.
- (ADA518618: (May 2010) DTIC)
- McCann, Mike. NASA Awards. March 19, 2012. [July 12, 2012]
- Meridian Group. 2010. [July 12, 2012]
- Prusak, Laurence. Ask Magazine Archive: Culture. July 9, 2012 [July 12, 2012].
- US Dept. of Transportation. Federal Railroad Administration. Organizational Culture & Safety Performance. 2007 [July 12, 2012].