Program/Project Management Resource List #62
Revised Aug. 2009
Provided by the NASA Headquarters Library
Ever since Congress was granted the right to license privateers in Article I, sec. 8 of the Constitution, the issue of
private individuals and firms conducting public affairs has been a part of American life. Although the age of "iron men in
wooden ships" is long past us, that issue is not. Since 1966, the Office of Management and Budget has encouraged federal
agencies and departments to contract out, or outsource, services that are not "inherently governmental", based on the idea that
services that are commonly performed by the private sector are performed more efficiently by the private sector than if they
were to be performed by civil servants. Since then, NASA has placed many of its day-to-day operations in the hands of private
sector employees. NASA uses contractors to build most, if not all, of its spacecraft-indeed, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, which many people think of as a NASA
center, is really operated by one of NASA's oldest contractors, the California Institute of
Technology. Other research and development agencies, such as the Dept. of Energy,
also rely on contractors.
Recently, however, several interrelated questions have been asked:
This resource list provides policies, reports, and other materials that can shed light on the answers to these questions. You
may also find helpful materials in the library's websites on Earned Value Management, Project Budgeting and Cost Control, Program Management, or Measuring Return on Investment for Government Programs and
- Does the line between services that are and aren't "inherently governmental" need to be redrawn? Would this result in
- Are contracts being awarded fairly?
- Are federal agencies seeing the efficiencies that they expected to see after outsourcing?
All items are available at the Headquarters Library, except as noted. NASA Headquarters employees and contractors: call (358-0172) or email Library@hq.nasa.gov for information on borrowing or in-library use of any of these items. Members of the public, contact your Local Library for the availability of these items. NASA Headquarters employees can request additional materials or research on this topic. The Library welcomes your comments or suggestions about this webpage.
The following policies and procedural requirements can be accessed by anyone through the NASA Online Directives Information System:
- NASA Policy Directive 1050.1I: Authority To Enter Into Space Act Agreements
- NASA Policy Directive 1350.3A: Strategic Alliances: Building Partnership to Achieve NASA's Mission and Goals
- NASA Policy Directive 3310.1B: Distinguishing Between Contractor and Civil Service Functions
- NASA Policy Directive 3451.5C: Acquisition Improvement Awards
- NASA Policy Directive 7410.3J: Performance of Commercial Activities
- NASA Policy Directive 9501.1H: NASA Contractor Financial Management Reporting System
- NASA Procedural Requirements 9501.2D: NASA Contractor Financial Management Reporting
- NASA Policy Directives and Procedural Requirements 5000-5999: Procurement, Small Business, and Industrial Relations
- Abramson, Mark A., and Roland S. Harris III. The Procurement Revolution. Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield,
- KF849 .P76 2003 BOOKSTACKS
- Cohen, Steven, and William Eimicke. The Responsible Contract Manager: Protecting the Public Interest in an Outsourced
World. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press, 2008.
- HD3861 .U6 C64 2008 PPM-STACKS
- Drewry, Gavin, Carsten Greve, and Thierry Tanquerel. Contracts, Performance Measurement, and Accountability in the Public Sector. Washington, DC: IOS Press, 2005.
- K840 .C66 2005 BOOKSTACKS
- Fournier, Eddie (ed.). Best Practices for Resolving Government Contract Disputes: Leading Lawyers on Preventing
Disputes, Meeting the Client's Objectives, and Achieving a Successful Outcome. Boston, MA: Aspatore, 2008.
- HD3858 .B478 2008 BOOKSTACKS
- National Academy of Engineering Committee on the Offshoring of Engineering. The Offshoring of Engineering: Facts,
Unknowns, and Potential Implications. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2008.
- TA23 .N275 2008 BOOKSTACKS
- Nelson, C. Robert. Building the Optimum Organization for Federal Agencies: The Guide for Developing the MEO Through
Functionality Assessment, A-76 or Other Strategic Sourcing Study. Huntsville, AL: FPMI Communications, Inc., 2001.
- JK468 .P75 N45 2001 PPM-STACKS
- Sclar, Elliott. You Don't Always Get What You Pay For: The Economics of Privatization. Ithaca, NY: Cornell
University Press, 2000.
- HD3888 .S35 2000 BOOKSTACKS
- Solomon, Lewis D. The Privatization of Space Exploration: Business, Technology, Law, and Policy. New Brunswick,
NJ: Transaction Publishers, 2008.
- HD9711.75 .A2S59 2008 BOOKSTACKS
- United States. Government Accountability Office. Implementation of OMB Circular no. A-76 at Science Agencies.
Washington, DC: U.S. Govt. Accountability Office, 2007.
- KF869 .A76 G36 2007 BOOKSTACKS
- __________. Federal Contractors: Better Performance Information Needed to Support Agency Contract Award Decisions.
Washington, DC: U.S. Govt. Accountability Office, 2009.
- HF5686 .P923 F434 2009 BOOKSTACKS
- United States. National Aeronautics and Space Administration. Office of Inspector General. Assessment of Agencywide
Use of Support Service Contractors at NASA. Washington, DC: The Office, 2000.
- TL521.312 .A87 2000 BOOKSTACKS
- Vaillancourt Rosenau, Pauline (ed.). Public-private Policy Partnerships. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2000.
- H97 .P84 2000 BOOKSTACKS
- All e-books listed here are available to NASA civil servants and contractors through the Books 24x7 service of SATERN.
- Beyster, J. Robert, and Peter Economy. The SAIC Solution: How We Built an $8 Billion Employee-Owned Technology
Company. John Wiley and Sons, 2007.
- Burkholder, Nicholas C. Outsourcing: The Definitive View, Applications, and Implications. John Wiley and Sons,
- Marchington, Mick, et al. (eds.). Fragmenting Work: Blurring Organizational Boundaries and Disordering
Hierarchies. Oxford University Press, 2005.
- Roland, Gerard (ed.). Privatization: Successes and Failures. Columbia University Press, 2008.
- Bowen, Brent, Patrick O'Neil, and Richard Box. "NASA Spaceport Research: Opportunities for Space Grant and EPSCoR
Involvement", in: Proceedings of the NASA Aerospace Technology Symposium 2002, Las Cruces, NM, March 3-5, 2002.
- (20030112018: (Nov. 2004) NTRS)
- Engelbeck, R.M. "Using Metrics to Measure Contractor Performance", in: Proceedings of the First Annual Acquisition Research Symposium of the Naval Postgraduate School: Charting a Course for Change: Acquisition Theory and Practice for a Transforming Defense, Monterey, CA, May 13, 2004.
- (ADA498967: (June 2009) DTIC)
- Feeney, Mary K., and Craig. R. Smith. "Social Embeddedness in Outsourcing: What Shapes Public Managers' Perceptions?",
Public Performance and Management Review, vol. XXXI, no. 4 (June 2008), p. 517-546.
- Kelly, D.S. "Successful Privatization of Hanford Site Fabrication Services", in: Waste Management 2005 Conference,
Tucson, AZ, Feb. 27, 2005.
- (834858: (Feb. 5, 2008) DOE Information Bridge)
- Kremic, Tibor, and Oya Tukel. Assisting Public Organizations in Their Outsourcing Endeavors: A Decision Support
Mode. NASA/TM-2006-213809. Glenn Research Center, Cleveland, OH, April 2006.
- (20060017043: (April 2006) NTRS)
- Mehta, Shreefal and Lois S. Peters. "Outsourcing a Core Competency", Research Technology Management, vol. L, no. 3
(May/June 2007), p. 28-34.
- Mobley, Garland T. An Investigation of Knowledge Transfer and Retention in a Government Procurement Office, Air
Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, OH, March 2009.
- (ADA499477: (June 2009) DTIC)
- Murphy, LM, P Jerde, L Rutherford, and R Barone. Enhancing Commercial Outcomes from R and D: A Framework for a
Public-Private Partnership to Increase the Yield of Federally Funded R and D Investments and Promote Economic
Development. NREL/TP-110-40463. National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, CO, May 1, 2007.
- (908011: (June 11, 2007) DOE Information Bridge)
- Oakley, B.T., et al. Privatization Financing Alternatives: Blending Private Capital and Public Resources for a
Successful Project. PNNL-11916. Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA, Oct. 19, 1998.
- (938: (Feb. 4, 2008) DOE Information Bridge)
- Person, J.C. "Privatization and Other Post-Contract Reform Project Delivery Methods: What Works Best and Why", in:
Waste Management 2003 Conference, Tucson, AZ, Feb. 27, 2003.
- (827132: (July 30, 2009) DOE Information Bridge)
- Rainey, Hal G., Barry Bozeman, and Gordon Kingsley (eds.). "Privatized Administration of the National Laboratories:
Developments in the Government-Owned, Contractor-Operated Approach", Public Performance and Management Review, vol.
XXVIII, no. 2 (Dec. 2004), p. 157-166.
- Note: This issue of Public Performance and Management Review covers different facets of the public-private
arrangements that the Department of Energy made to run its labs.
- Riley, Patrick G., and Patrick R. Buckley. "The Best Scientists Are Becoming Free Agents", Research Technology
Management, vol. LI, no. 3 (May/June 2008), p. 9-12.
- Scott, M.J., et al. Evidence of cost growth under cost-plus and fixed-price contracting. PNNL-11984. Pacific
Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA, Sept. 1, 1998.
- (665982: (Feb. 5, 2008) DOE Information Bridge)
- Slowinski, et al. "Effective Practices for Sourcing Innovation", Research Technology Management, vol. LII, no. 1
(Jan./Feb. 2009), p. 27-34.
- Sweet, Gerald L. The Next Step to Creating a More Efficient Form of Paperless Contracting. Naval Postgraduate
School, Monterey, CA, Sept. 2008.
- (ADA488886: (Nov. 19, 2008) DTIC)
- Tulenko, Edward. Outsourcing and Privatization: Proceed with Caution. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, PA,
Aug. 21, 2002.
- (ADA404414: (March 16, 2003) DTIC)
- International Association of Outsourcing Professionals. 2009 [Aug. 11, 2009].
- Lee, Naeemah. NASA Office of Small Business Programs. April 28, 2009 [Aug. 11, 2009].
- Marucci, Susie. NASA Office of Procurement. Feb. 27, 2009 [Aug. 11, 2009].
- National Contract Management Association. 2009 [Aug. 27, 2009].
- National Council for Public-Private Partnerships. 2009 [Aug. 11, 2009].
- Office of Management and Budget. Circular no. A-76: Performance of Commercial Activities. 2003 [Aug. 11, 2009].
- Office of Management and Budget. White House to Save $40 Billion Annually through Contracting Reforms. July 29, 2009
[Aug. 11, 2009].
- Small Business Administration. May 2009 [Aug. 11, 2009].
- Turner, Janelle. NASA Innovative Partnerships Program. July 30, 2009 [Aug. 11, 2009].