The Government Performance and Results Act
Program/Project Management Resource List #63
Revised Sept. 2009
Provided by the NASA Headquarters Library
In 1993, President Clinton signed Public Law no. 103-62, the Government Performance and Results Act. The goals of the act are:
- Improve the confidence of the American people in the capability of the Federal Government, by systematically holding Federal agencies accountable for achieving program results
- Initiate program performance reform with a series of pilot projects in setting program goals, measuring program performance against those goals, and reporting publicly on their progress
- Improve Federal program effectiveness and public accountability by promoting a new focus on results, service quality, and customer satisfaction
- Help Federal managers improve service delivery, by requiring that they plan for meeting program objectives and by providing them with information about program results and service quality
- Improve congressional decisionmaking by providing more objective information on achieving statutory objectives, and on the relative effectiveness and efficiency of Federal programs and spending
- Improve internal management of the Federal Government
NASA has complied with the act since 1997, by filing yearly performance reports and strategic plans for each of its programs. Public Law 103-62 has changed how many of our government's agencies monitor their performance, including NASA and the other research and development agencies. You may also find useful materials in our webapges on Vision and Strategic Planning, Program Management, Measuring Organizational Effectiveness in Research and Development Organizations, and Measuring Return on Investment for Government Programs and Agencies.
All items are available at the Headquarters Library, except as noted. NASA Headquarters employees and contractors: call x0172 or email Library@hq.nasa.gov for information on borrowing or in-library use of any of these items. Members of the public, contact your local library for the availability of these items. NASA Headquarters employees can request additional materials or research on this topic. The Library welcomes your comments or suggestions about this webpage.
|Contents:||Policies||Books||E-books||Articles and Reports||Internet Resources|
- The following policies and procedural requirements can be accessed by anyone through the NASA Online Directives Information System:
- NASA Policy Directive 1000.0: Strategic Management and Governance Handbook
- NASA Policy Directive 1001.0: 2006 NASA Strategic Plan
- NASA Policy Directive 9800.1B: NASA Office of Inspector General Programs
- NASA Policy Directive 9910.1: Government Accountability Office/NASA Office of Inspector General Audit Liaison, Resolution, and Followup
- Committee on Science, Engineering, and Public Policy. Implementing the Government Performance and Results Act for Research: A Status Report. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 2001.
- Q180.55 .E9 I65 2001 BOOKSTACKS
- Pederson, Larry M. Performance-oriented Management: A Practical Guide for Government Agencies. Vienna, VA: Management Concepts, 2002.
- JK421 .P357 2002 PPM-STACKS
- United States. General Accounting Office. Executive Guide: Effectively Implementing the Government Performance and Results Act. Washington, DC: The Office, 1996.
- JK421 .U56 1996 BOOKSTACKS
- __________. Managing for Results: Observations on NASA's Fiscal Year 1999 Performance Plan: Report to the Chairman and Ranking Minority Member, Committee on Science, House of Representatives. Washington, DC: The Office, 1998.
- TL521.312 .A296 1998 BOOKSTACKS
- United States. National Aeronautics and Space Administration. Office of Inspector General. Audit Report: NASA implementation of the Government Performance Results Act. Washington, DC: The Office, 1999.
- TL521.3 .A93 N37 1999 BOOKSTACKS
- __________. Audit Report: Validating FY 1999 Performance Data to be Reported Under the Government Performance Results Act (GPRA). Washington, DC: The Office, 2000.
- TL521.3 .A93 V35 2000 BOOKSTACKS
- Whittaker, James B. The Government Performance and Results Act: A Mandate for Strategic Planning and Performance Measurement.Arlington, VA: ESI International, 1997.
- JK421 .W58 1997 PPM-STACKS
- All e-books listed here are available to NASA civil servants and contractors through the Books 24x7 service of SATERN.
- Richardson, Valerie L. Annual Performance Planning: A Manual for Public Agencies. Management Concepts, 2002.
- Whittaker, James B. President's Management Agenda: A Balanced Scorecard Approach. Management Concepts, 2003.
- Harrell, Ronald L. Financial Management Transformation (Performance Based Budgeting). Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, PA, April 9, 2002.
- (ADA404570: March 2003 (DTIC))
- Ho, Alfred. "GPRA After a Decade: Lessons from the Government Performance and Results Act and Related Federal Reforms: Introduction", Public Performance and Management Review, vol. XXX, no. 3 (March 2007), p. 307-311.
- Note: This issue of Public Performance and Management Review has articles from a symposium about the Government Performance and Results Act.
- Kostoff, Ronald N. Science and Technology Peer Review: GPRA, Office of Naval Research, Arlington, VA, Nov. 30, 2003.
- (ADA418868: Jan. 2004 (DTIC))
- __________. Research Program Peer Review: Purposes, Principles, Practices, Protocols. Office of Naval Research, Arlington, VA, June 1, 2004.
- (ADA418868: July 2004 (DTIC))
- Lee, Cindy. GPRA and its Significance to the Acquisition Workforce. Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL, April 2000.
- (ADA393955: Oct. 2001 (DTIC))
- Long, Edward and Aimee L. Franklin. "The Paradox of Implementing the Government Performance and Results Act: Top-Down Direction for Bottom-Up Implementation", Public Administration Review, vol. 64, no. 3 (May/June 2004), p. 309-319.
- Simon, Cary A. Alternative Frameworks for Improving Government Organizational Performance: A Comparative Analysis. Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA, March 1997.
- (ADA328832: Oct. 1997 (DTIC))
- Anderson, Lawrence. NASA Office of Inspector General. Sept. 2, 2009 [Sept. 14, 2009].
- Convy, James. Office of Program Analysis and Evaluation. May 7, 2009 [Sept. 14, 2009].
- Office of Management and Budget. Budget and Performance Integration. 2009 [Sept. 14, 2009].
- __________. Program Assessment Rating Tool. 2008 [Sept. 14, 2009].
- Wilson, Jim. Budget Documents, Strategic Plans, and Performance Reports. May 12, 2009 [Sept. 14, 2009].
Last Updated: Sept. 2009