Program/Project Management Resource List #8
Revised Oct. 2012
"A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking about real money.", attributed to Senator E.M. Dirksen
Proper budgeting and cost control are vital ingredients of a successful project. When a project is
insufficiently funded or given an improper timetable, the quality of the work and the speed of the project will
suffer. On the other hand, the project manager must be careful to keep costs under control and also try to keep
everything running on time, so that the clients will receive the most value for their money. This is more than
just a matter of pushing the team to work more-a good manager can only succeed after taking account of, as
Rumsfeld put it, "known unknowns" and "unknown unknowns". For instance, a boy running a lemonade stand will
probably take the weather into account before he brings his pitcher of lemonade out to the curb, but has he
considered the possibility of electricity going out, and thus running out of ice?
This bibliography provides an overview of project budgeting and cost control resources available through the
NASA HQ Library. In addition, the HQ library has reports from the Government
Accountability Office and NASA's Office of the Inspector General. You may
also find useful resources in our webpages on Project Risk Management, Earned Value Management, and Vision and Strategic Planning.
The following is a select bibliography of pertinent materials accessible to the patrons of the NASA HQ
Library. All items are available at the Headquarters Library, except as noted. NASA Headquarters employees and
contractors: Call x0168 or email Library@hq.nasa.gov for information on
borrowing or in-library use of any of these items. Members of the public: Contact your local library for the availability of these items. NASA Headquarters
employees can request additional materials or research on
this topic. The Library welcomes your comments or suggestions about this webpage.
- The following policies and procedural requirements can be accessed by anyone through the NASA Online Directives Information System:
- The policies and procedural requirements governing NASA's project and financial management are in §
7000-7999 and § 9000-9799 of the NASA Online Directives Information
- Brathwaite, Joy D. Value-informed Space Systems Design and Acquisition. Atlanta, GA: Georgia
Institute of Technology, 2011.
- TL796.5 .U5 B738 2011 BOOKSTACKS
- Online at
- Brethauer, Dale M. The Power of Strategic Costing: A Proactive Competitive Approach for Setting Future
Strategic Plans. New York, NY: AMACOM, 2000. ISBN: 0814404863
- HF5686 .C8 B64 2000 PPM-STACKS
- Cappels, Thomas M. Financially Focused Project Management. Boca Raton, FL: J. Ross Pub., 2004. ISBN:
- HD69 .P75 C37 2004 PPM-STACKS
- Online as an e-book through SATERN.
- MCR Federal, Inc. (eds). Parametric Estimating Handbook. Vienna, VA?: International Society of
Parametric Analysts/Society of Cost Estimating and Analysis, 2003. ISBN: 097202042X
- HJ9777 .A3 P373 2003 PPM-STACKS
- National Research Council. Space Studies Board. Controlling Cost Growth of NASA Earth and Space Science
Missions. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2010. ISBN: 9780309157377
- QA76.9 .A93 C678 2010 BOOKSTACKS
- Online as an e-book at the National Academies Press.
- United States. Government Accountability Office. GAO Cost Estimating and Assessment Guide: Best Practices
for Developing and Managing Capital Program Costs. Washington, DC: U.S. Govt. Accountability Office,
- HD47.3 .G36 2009 BOOKSTACKS
- Online at http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-09-3SP.
- United States. National Aeronautics and Space Administration. 2008 NASA Cost Estimating Handbook.
Washington, DC: National Aeronautics and Space Admistration, Cost Analysis Division; Cleveland, OH: Booz Allen
- TL521.312 .A4 2008 BOOKSTACKS
- Online at
- All e-books listed here are available to NASA civil servants and contractors through the Books 24×7
service of SATERN.
- Callahan, Kevin R., Gary S. Stetz and Lynne M. Brooks. Project Management Accounting: Budgeting,
Tracking, and Reporting Costs and Profitability, Second Edition. John Wiley & Sons, 2011 ISBN:
- Shim, Jae K., and Joel G. Siegel. Budgeting Basics and Beyond, Third Edition. John Wiley & Sons,
2009 ISBN: 9780470389683
- Taylor, James C. Project Scheduling and Cost Control: Planning, Monitoring and Controlling the
Baseline. J. Ross Publishing, 2008. ISBN: 9781932159110
- Venkataraman, Ray R., and Jeffrey K. Pinto. Cost and Value Management in Projects. John Wiley &
Sons, 2008. ISBN: 9780470069134
- Amer, Tahani R. Development of Risk Uncertainty Factors from Historical NASA Projects, HQ-STI-11-201,
NASA Headquarters, Washington, DC, Dec. 2011.
- (20120013069: (Aug. 2012) NTRS)
- Banerjee, Bakul. "Estimating design costs for first-of-a-kind projects", in: IEEE International
Engineering Management Conference, Salvador, Brazil, Sept. 17-20, 2006.
- (879083: (May 2008) DoE Information Bridge)
- Dorey, Sean P., Josef Oehmen, and Ricardo Valerdi. "Enhancing Cost Realism through Risk-Driven Contracting:
Designing Incentive Fees Based on Probabilistic Cost Estimates", Defense Acquisition Research Journal,
vol. XIX, no. 2 (April 2012), p. 133-158.
- Available online at DTIC as document no.
- Hansen, Patricia A., Dianne Day, and Mark Secunda. "The Swift Project Contamination Control Program: A Case
Study of Balancing Cost, Schedule and Risk", in: 21st Aerospace Testing Seminar, Manhattan
Beach, CA, Oct. 21-23, 2003.
- (20030102244: (July 2009) NTRS)
- Hunt, Charles D, and Michel O. van Pelt. "Comparing NASA and ESA Cost Estimating Methods for Human Missions
Final Report", in: International Society of Parametric Analysts Conference, Frascati, Italy, May 10-12,
- (20040075697: (June 2008) NTRS)
- Ryan, E., D. Jacques, J. Colombi, and C. Schubert. "A Proposed Methodology to Characterize the Accuracy of
Life Cycle Cost Estimates for DoD Programs", Procedia Computer Science, vol. VIII, 2012, p. 361-369.
- Available online at DTIC as document no.
- Shishko, Robert. "Developing Analogy Cost Estimates for Space Missions", in: AIAA Space 2004, San
Diego, CA, Sept.
- (20090007578: (Feb. 2009) NTRS)
- Swan, Christopher, and Shawn Jarrett. "Correlation of Spacecraft Mission and Project Costs", in: NASA
Symposium, Denver, CO, July 17-19, 2007.
- (20090026401: (Aug. 2009) NTRS)
- White, J Chris, and Robert M. Sholtes. "Agent-Based Simulations for Project Management", in: Selected
Papers and Presentations Presented at MODSIM World 2010 Conference and Expo, NASA/CP-2011-217069/PT1,
Langley Research Center, Hampton, VA, March 2011.
- (20110012101: (June 2011) NTRS)
- NASA Websites
- Bonilla, Erin L. Ask Magazine Archive. Budgets. May 12, 2010 [Oct. 3, 2012]
- Cyr, Kelley. Cost Estimating Web Site. May 25, 2007 [Oct. 3, 2012]
- King, Katherine. Cost Analysis Division. Independent Program Assessment Office. April 14, 2010. [Oct. 3,
- Tremper, Nadine. Office of the Chief Financial Officer. July 27, 2012 [Oct. 3, 2012]
- Other Websites
- American Society of Professional Estimators. 2009 [Oct. 3, 2012]
- Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering. 2011 [Oct. 3, 2012]
- International Cost Engineering Council. 2012. [Oct. 3, 2012]
- International Society of Parametric Analysts. 2012 [Oct. 3, 2012]
- Space Systems Cost Analysis Group. 2012. [Oct. 3, 2012]