The NICS contract will assume responsibility for a portion of the work currently performed under the HQ Information Technology Support and Services (HITSS) contract. The NICS team is currently performing the transition activities necessary to assume responsibility for these HQ local services. Transition began October 17, 2011 and will end before December 1, 2011.
The following services at HQ will fall under the NICS jurisdiction:
- Local Area Network (LAN)
- Voice Over IP (VOIP) system
- Cable Plant (network wiring and infrastructure)
- Emergency Warning System (EWS)
- Public Address system
- Cable TV services
NICS is one of five agency-wide service contracts under NASA’s IT Infrastructure Integration Program (I3P). The Communication Service Office is located at Marshall Space Flight Center (MSFC). The NICS service provider is Science Applications International Corp. (SAIC). Together they will consolidate the provisioning of IT communications infrastructure services across all NASA Centers and Facilities using a single Agency solution; ensuring NASA’s mission is enabled by the Agency IT communications infrastructure solution.
Benefits of NICS include:
- Improved NASA’s IT security posture.
- Improved management of NASA’s IT infrastructure.
- Improved ability for NASA’s IT communications infrastructure to support emerging mission requirements.