Mailbox management means keeping your server based e-mail messages under your storage limits and keeping everything where you can find it. All items listed under “Mailbox” or “HQ Exchange Server,” is stored on the Agency Microsoft Exchange server. Items that are stored under “Personal Folders” or “On My Computer” are stored on your hard drive.
Mailbox management may include:
- deleting unneeded e-mail messages
- moving e-mail messages from the server to your local workstation
- saving attachments to your local workstation or to the network server
- creating rules to automatically move or delete e-mail messages
A mailbox limit is the amount of e-mail you can store in your mailbox on the server. Mailbox quotas apply to items such as messages and attachments, calendar appointments and events, tasks, etc., that are in your mailbox on the Microsoft Exchange server. This does not apply to Personal Folders, Archive folders (Outlook), or Office Database files (Entourage).
The standard size limit for a mailbox is 400 megabytes (MB). A percentage of users have been approved for an increased mailbox size of 1 gigabyte (G). While you will not be prohibited from receiving messages once you reach your mailbox limit, you will be prohibited from sending messages.
- At 375 MB, or 975 MB a warning message is sent from the System Administrator.
- At 400 MB, or 1G you can no longer send messages.
Tips and Techniques for Managing Your Mailbox
Below are some mailbox management techniques to help manage your storage limit. Step-by-step instructions on how to perform these functions for both Outlook and Entourage users are available in the DOCUMENTATION section below:
- Empty “Deleted Items” on the Server: When you delete a message, calendar event, task, or note, it is moved into the Deleted Items folder and marked for deletion. Until you empty the Deleted Items folder, these items still take up space on the server and count against your storage limit.
- Move “Sent Items” Off the Server: Each time you send an e-mail message, your mail client will save a copy in your Sent Items folder. While this is convenient when you need to refer to or resend a previous message, it takes up space.
- Auto Archive: Auto Archiving will automatically move messages to a designated folder of your choosing. These items are not stored on the Exchange server.
- Delete Items in the “Sync Issues” Folder: Items in the Sync Issues folder are counted as part of your mailbox storage limit. Since the Sync Issues folders are not always visible, the number of messages and storage space could increase with time, eventually consuming valuable space in your mailbox. See instructions for Managing the Sync Issues folder.