April 5, 2011
10 a.m. – 12 noon
The Information Technology and Communications Division (ITCD) is hosting a demo and presentation by Apple and Microsoft on the new “Office for Mac” software suite.
All Headquarters employees are invited and encouraged to attend.
The new Microsoft Office 2011 is by far the best release of Office for the Mac—ever! For first time, it truly is Office for the Mac. The sheer speed enhancements justify the upgrade alone. It also eliminates all of the data loss issues associated with Entourage and fixes Excel, while bringing it up to parity with the Windows product in many areas. But the best part is that ODIN seats are already paid for. With all of these benefits, the Microsoft and Apple teams are so excited about this release that they are joining up to introduce Office 2011 throughout NASA.
Most Relevant Features to the Mac Community:
- Outlook Client is really Outlook Client, no more Entourage
- Excel is built on the Windows Excel Foundation, file compatibility and performance are greatly appreciated, and Visual Basic is back
- Tables and Pivot Tables now up-to-date
- Excel now supports Sparklines
- Excel now supports the same conditional formatting as Windows Excel
- Word Tables are now compatible between the Macs and Windows platforms
- Windows and Mac Coauthoring in Word and PowerPoint
- PowerPoint is more Mac-like but more compatible with Windows PowerPoint
- PowerPoint photo editing
- PowerPoint broadcasting
- Vastly improved SharePoint Client