1. R. M. Goody, "Weather on the Inner Planets," New Scientist (June 1973), pp. 602-05.
2. Significant Achievements in Space Communications and Navigation, 1958-1964, NASA SP-93 (Washington, 1966), pp. 53-54.
3. Significant Achievements in Satellite Geodesy, 1958-1964, NASA SP-94 (Washington, 1966).
4. See, for example, Nicholas M. Short et al.. eds., Mission to Earth: Landsat Views the World, NASA SP-360 (Washington, 1976); Richard S. Williams, Jr., and William D. Garter, eds., ERTS-1: A New Window on Our Planet, Geological Survey Professional Paper 929 (Washington: USGS, 1976).
5. Charles Fownes to James (C. Fletcher, 13 Aug. 1971 (National Academy of Sciences, Space Science Board files).
6. Short et al., Mission to Earth; Williams and Carter, ERTS-1: A New Window on Our Planet.
7. C. B. Spann (NASA contracting officer) to National Academy of Sciences, 20 Dec. 197 1; National Academy of Sciences. News Report 22, no. 6 (June-July 1972):2.
8. R. A. Minimer and W. S. Ripley. "The ARDC Model Atmosphere, 1956," Air Force Surveys in Geophysics,TN-56-204, no. 86, 15 pp. (Bedford, Mass.: Air Force Cambridge Research Center, Dec. 1956). See also, The Rocket Panel, "Pressures, Densities, and Temperatures in the Upper Atmosphere," Physical Review 88 (Dec. 1952): 1027-32; and. H. Kallman-Bijl et al., COSPAR International Reference Atmosphere, 1961 (Amsterdam: North-Holland Publishing Co., 1961).
9. R. Cargill Hall, "Early U.S. Satellite Proposals," Technology and Culture 4 (Fall 1963).
10. J. Spriggs, ed., "Practical Results from the NASA Space Program," app. 11 to a statement on NASA's Space Science and applications program presented to Senate Committee on Aeronautical and Space Sciences, 20 Apr. 1967, reprinted by NASA, Washington, 1967.
11. Vannevar Bush, Science, the Endless Frontier: A Report to the President (Washington, 1945).
12. Daniel S. Greenberg, The Politics of Pure Science (New York: New American Library, 1967, rev. 1971).
.13. Spriggs, "Practical Results from the NASA Space Program."
14. William K. Widger, Jr., Meteorological Satellites (New York: Holt, Rinehart & Winston, 1966).
15. Leonard Jaffe, Communications in Space (New York: Holt, Rinehart & Winston, 1966).
16. John Young to Homer Newell, 22 June 1978, comments on draft Newell MS. NF40.