This essay from Chapter 2 of our documentary history, "Exploring the Unknown, Volume 5, Exploring the Cosmos" covers the history of NASA planetary exploration planning:
- NASA and Planetary Exploration by Amy Paige Snyder.
- Mariner : Series of planetary spacecraft flown between 1962 and 1975.
- For a history of Mariner 10, click on this link: The Voyage of Mariner 10: Mission to Venus and Mercury.
- (NASA SP-424, 1978) by James A. Dunne and Eric Burgess.
- Pioneer 10 : Jupiter flyby, 1972-1973, continued outside the Solar System thereafter.
- Pioneer 11 : Jupiter and Saturn flyby, 1973-1979, continued outside the Solar System thereafter.
- The Pioneer 10 and Pioneer 11 missions to Jupiter are chronicled in: Pioneer Odyssey
- (NASA SP-349/396, revised edition, 1977) by Richard Fimmel, William Swindell, and Eric Burgess.
- Viking 1 and 2 : Mars landers and orbiters, 1975-1983.
- Our history of Mars exploration: On Mars: Exploration of the Red Planet, 1958-1978,
- NASA SP-4212, 1984, culminates with the Viking missions.
- Pioneer Venus 1 and 2 :Venus probes, 1978, mapped the planet's surface, imaged its cloud systems, and explored its magnetic environment.
- Voyager 1 and 2 : Grand Tour of the outer Solar System that imaged Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, launched in 1977 and it is still traveling outward. Also check out the NSSDC's Voyager information .
- Magellan : Venus probe that made the most highly detailed maps of the planet using sophisticated imaging radar, 1989-1994.
- See also: Magellan: The Unveiling of Venus (JPL-400-345, 1989).
- Galileo : Mapping mission to Jupiter, also imaged Moon and asteroids, 1989-present.
- See also our history of the Galileo Project by Michael Meltzer:
- Mission to Jupiter: A History of the Galileo Project. NASA SP-2007-4231.
- Cassini-Huygens : A joint NASA, ESA, and ASI mission that will orbit Saturn and land a probe on Titan, Saturn's largest moon.
- Also read SP-533: Passage to a Ringed World: The Cassini-Huygens Mission to Saturn and Titan.
- Explorer : A listing of varied missions carrying the designation Explorer, conducted between 1958 and the early 1980s.
Steve Garber, NASA History Web Curator
For further information email email@example.com