Procurement Information Circular
PURPOSE: To provide guidance on completion of the FPDS-NG field for place of manufacture and the requirement for foreign vendors to have DUNS numbers.
BACKGROUND: 1. Place
of Manufacture. Completion of the Place of Manufacture field
in FDPS-NG is optional for civilian agencies and is currently required for DOD
only. A FAR change and FPDS-NG system
change are in process to make completion of the field mandatory for all
agencies to permit compliance with recent statutory requirements for agencies to
report to Congress on acquisitions made from entities that manufacture
articles, materials, or supplies outside of the
2. Foreign vendors. FAR 4.1102(a)(5) requires Central Contractor Registration (CCR) as a condition of award for foreign vendors unless it is impractical to obtain CCR registration. CCR requires entry of a DUNS number. FAR 4.602(d) requires FPDS-NG entries to include a DUNS number, and an award cannot be entered into the system without a valid DUNS number. The system runs checks first against the CCR database, and if the vendor is not found there, it will then check the Dun & Bradstreet database for a valid DUNS. If a successful offeror does not have a DUNS number, the contracting officer must assist the offeror in obtaining the number.
GUIDANCE: 1. Place of Manufacture. Contracting officers must complete FPDS-NG Data Element 9H, Place of Manufacture, on all new contract, purchase order and delivery order awards. NASA is taking this action in advance of the FAR and FPDS-NG system changes to allow the agency to comply with the statutory reporting requirements associated with this data element. The field should be completed as follows:
· Manufactured or performed outside United States If the action is for (1) a product manufactured totally outside the United States, or (2) a foreign end product that is manufactured in the United States but is still determined to be foreign because 50 percent or more of the cost of its components are not mined, produced, or manufactured inside the United States or inside qualifying countries.
· More than 50 percent of foreign content, but manufactured in United States If the action is for (1) a product manufactured totally in the United States, or (2) a foreign end product that is manufactured in the United States but is determined to be domestic because 50 percent or more of the cost of its components are mined, produced, or manufactured inside the United States or inside qualifying countries.
· Not Applicable If place of manufacture does not apply such as for Services or Construction.
2. Foreign vendors. The circumstances under which it would be impractical for a foreign vendor to register in CCR are generally not applicable to NASA awards. Accordingly foreign vendors must be registered in CCR and must have DUNS numbers. If a successful offeror does not have a DUNS number, the contracting officer must assist the offeror in obtaining the number, and must enter that number in the FPDS-NG record of award.
EFFECTIVE DATE: This PIC is effective as dated and will remain in effect until canceled or superseded.
HEADQUARTERS CONTACT: Beverly Smith, Analysis Division, (202) 358-0472, email: Beverly.Smith@nasa.gov.
Acting Director, Contract Management