Procurement Information Circular
FEDERAL PROCUREMENT DATA SYSTEM – NEXT GENERATION
PURPOSE: The purpose of this PIC is to consolidate PIC 05-03, 06-08, 06-11, 07-04, and 07-05 which all relate to FPDS-NG reporting.
REFERENCE: FAR Subpart 4.6 and NFS Subpart 1804.6, Contract Reporting, FAR 4.1102(a)(5) foreign vendor registration in CCR.
BACKGROUND: The Federal Procurement Data System-Next Generation (FPDS-NG) is the single official source of procurement data for the Federal Government. The data in FPDS-NG is used by the public as well as other Government agencies and Congress. For example,, the Small Business Administration uses the data to produce the annual Small Business Goaling Report which is submitted to Congress; the Office of Management and Budget uses FPDS-NG data to produce the Competition Report; and the General Accountability Office relies upon FPDS-NG data in the conduct of audits and investigations. The data are also used by all levels of NASA management in making decisions on new policy requirements.
GUIDANCE: FAR 4.606, provides guidance on which awards are reportable to FPDS-NG. Timing for such reporting is stated at FAR 4.604(b)(2) ‘When a contract writing system is integrated with FPDS, the Contract Action Report (CAR) must be confirmed for accuracy prior to release of the contract award.’ FAR 4.604(b)(3) further states, ‘When a contract writing system is not integrated with FPDS, the CAR must be submitted to FPDS within three business days after contract award.’
There are several reference documents which are maintained on the FPDS-NG website. The URL for this website is: http://www.fpds-ng.com/downloads.html. The reference documents listed here are the FPDS-NG Data Dictionary, FPDS-NG Users Manual, and the Informatica Adhoc Reports Quick Start Guide, among others. For new users, there is also computer-based training available at: https://www.fpds.gov/.
FPDS-NG does not currently show the Place of Manufacture field as required for all award types. However, with the issuance of this PIC, NASA users should complete this field for any award that is input.
NASA users are reminded of the following FPDS-NG requirements:
- Alpha-numeric modification numbers should not be reported to FPDS-NG
- Interagency Contracting Authority – This field is to be completed when placing an order against another agency’s contract.
- The Description of Requirements field is now open on modifications. The Description of Requirement from the base award must be restated on modification. This field should not describe the modification action.
- Product/Service Codes (PSC) on orders should directly reflect what is being purchased on the order. This may differ from the PSC on the contract that the order is placed against.
- When making awards using Department of Defense funds, the following procedures, provided by the Director, Defense Procurement, Acquisition Policy, and Strategic Sourcing should be followed:
· Complete the FPDS data field entitled “Funding Office ID” with the Department of Defense Automatic Addressing Code (DoDAAC) identified on the requisition (most often on a Military Interdepartmental Purchase Request (MIPR), Department of Defense Form 448) that represents the requisitioner for the transaction. On a MIPR, this is NOT the Pay Office DoDAAC nor the Accounting Station DoDAAC identified in blocks 13 and 14 respectively. The requisitioner’s DoDAAC should be identified in block 8 with the identity of the organization providing the MIPR (note that it is often depicted as the first six characters of the MPIR number in block 5). Do not accept the requisition/MIPR if the requisitioner’s DoDAAC is not provided.
· Complete the FPDS data field entitled “Funding Agency ID” with the code shown on the attached matrix that correctly corresponds to the DoDAAC being reported in the “Funding Office ID” data field. This code should not be confused with similar codes that are often seen in block 14 of the MIPR.
Please refer to GIC 07-01 for guidance on reporting Grants and Cooperative Agreements to FPDS-NG.
CANCELLATION: PICs 05-03, 06-08, 06-11, 07-04 and 07-05 are hereby cancelled.
EFFECTIVE DATE: This PIC is effective as dated and shall remain in effect until canceled or superseded.
HEADQUARTERS CONTACT: Beverly Smith, Analysis Division (202) 358-0472, email: Beverly.Smith@nasa.gov.
/s/ S. Morris (for)
Director, Contract Management Division
Department of Defense-Organization Codes-as of October 2008